Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Motor on Pontoon, Questions
[cool][#0000ff]There are different opinions on the size motor to put on a pontoon. Most toons are fitted with 30 pound Minnkotas. They are the least expensive and they do a fairly good job of moving you around. Quite a few guys use a 36 pound, especially if they wanna do fast trolling for wipers. And, more than a few of them wish they had spend the extra bucks for a 46 pound.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are different power settings on the trolling motors. Obviously, the higher you run them the faster they drain the battery. A 30# thrust, on a light craft can run at half speed all day on an average battery, and maintain a trolling speed good enough for trout. However, if you run it wide open, to troll over 2 mph for wipers, you will be out of juice a lot faster.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have heard it said that it is more efficient to run a larger thrust motor at lower power than a smaller motor at high power. In terms of energy use efficiency, that makes sense.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want a great deal on the ideal battery for running an electric on a toon, PM me. I bought a brand new Decka DC-31 DT, 225 amp deep cycle at a killer price. They are usually about $150. I got mine for $85 plus tax. It's yours for what I paid for it if you want it. They are better than the Trojans. Since I sold my toon before I put a motor on it, I no longer need the battery.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Hunt4BigBucks] Electric Motor on Pontoon, Questions - by TubeDude - 04-30-2006, 09:00 PM