Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for the ODC 420 owners
Hi all-

I finally got the chance to get my ODC 420 out on the water this last weekend (work really gets in the way of fishing), and I noticed that the back compartment gets a pool of water in it. Anyone else have this issue? At first I thought it was because I did not have enough air in the bladders, but it still occurred even after adding more air. My only remaining theory is that I am simply too big (255-260) for it not to take on a little water. Any thoughts?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Chill. All of the tubes with the "V" shaped storage behind the seat get water in them. They are not intended to be "dry storage". If you wanna keep something dry back there, then go to a discount outdoors outlet and get a dry storage bag, like they use for keeping stuff dry on river running expeditions. I scored a couple of nice big bags for TubeBabe and myself for only about $10 apiece. They usually run about 3 times that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Having a dry storage bag can be handy on those mornings when you need extra layers until the sun warms things up a bit. It's nice to be able to shed a layer or two, and keep it dry until you get back to shore.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The reverse is true if you go out on a warm afternoon, expecting to stay until later in the evening. On most waters, when the sun begins to go down it gets cooler. If you have a nice warm jacket in your bag you can stay longer and fish longer.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]
and thought, as is usually the case acording to my lovely wife, that I must have done something wrong. [#008000][/#008000] [#008000]For example, forgetting to log in before posting a reply[crazy][/#008000]
[signature]
Kevinkay,

[cool]Tubedude strikes the anonymous poster again! He's quick on the button when ya don't log in. Just ask me. <big Smile>

Nothing to add to the Dude's reply except that it is spot on. When I first discovered the water in my ODC I thought what you did. But when you think it through, if the thing didn't let water in, then it wouldn't let water out. Soon in a rainstorm or on a choppy day you would be swamped with no way to bail water behind your back.

Walmart often has a good deal on bright yellow dry bags. Much less expensive than specialty stores. Look in the camping section.

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry, Uncle Z, but I was "off the air" last night and didn't catch the "BFT Botch" until this morning. Our esteemed member corrected his own self before I got there. You just get lucky and post when I'm looking over your shoulder.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About that water in the back. I guess we could turn it into a live well or something. Maybe an onboard swimming pool. Stock it with goldfish or even some silly trout...in case the ones in the lake ain't bitin'.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let's see now, there's gotta be something I could rig outta PVC...[/#0000ff]
[signature]
HEY GUYS THIS MAY SOUND SILLY BUT I USE A SQAURE BUCKET WITH AN OPENING/CLOSING LID. IT'S THE BUCKET THAT WE BUY MY CATS KITTY LITTER IN. I'LL POST SOME PICS TONIGHT. I FITS PERFECTLY AND I STORE EXTRA CLOTHES, WATER, TACKLE, ETC. AND WITH THE CLOSING LID EVERYTHING STAYS DRY EVEN IN THE RAIN.

ATFISHING
[signature]
AT,

That's a great idea. Probably less costly than a dry bag. I look forward to seeing your pics.

Tubedude,

[cool]Guess I implicated you unjustly. To atone for my mistake let me take the occasion to compliment you on your moderating. You never seem to be very for from your post. That makes for an excellent forum which none of us should take for granted. This is a wonderful resource.

z~
[signature]
AT, Zonker, and TD:

Thanks for the advice. A dry bag (or bucket) is a good idea. The live well idea is also intriguing [Wink].
[signature]
I have an Outcast Fat Cat and have often used the behind the seat section as a live well. My friend got a fish Cat and was disappointed that his waterfilled compartment was smaller and that there was an opening the fish could get out of. He went to school on Tube Dude's setup and now has a pool noodle floating laundry bag that he puts his fish into. The soft mesh of the laundry bag is perfectly tube friendly. A small cooler fits back there rather nicely as well.
[signature]
SM89,

You must cover the back up if you have fish swiming around back there - or else they will jump out??

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Gosh Zonker, never knew ya cared. Blush, blush.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I appreciate your appreciation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, throwing it back, as a moderator (and a fisherman) I really do appreciate the members we have gathered here. Always seems to be something meaningful to discuss and the discussions are (usually) friendly and objective. That sure does make it easier to be a moderator.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ya cain't beat fun.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
HEY GUYS HERE ARE THE PICTURES OF THE BUCKET I USE FOR STORAGE. ABOUT $8 @ TARGET.

ATFISHING
[signature]
[cool]That's a good looking box AT. Looks like it was made to order. What should I do with the cat litter? I don't have cat. (Kidding of course.) It's probably about the same price to buy the box full of litter as it is an empty hinged box.

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Man, what an opening..."I don't have a cat". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff](Drum roll...Ba-Dum-Dum) BUT...YOU DO HAVE A CAT...A SUPER FAT CAT.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Actually, with all of the different sizes and shapes of those plastic storage bins available I had been considering getting one about the right size for my craft. I have picked up several in the past for a dollar or so by cruising yard sales. Even one of those round plastic buckets (with or without lid) should get the job done.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The only real problem I would have with it is where to put my PFD. I have a bulky Stearns vest that I usually stuff in that space. I guess I could put it in the bucket, but that would be too uncomplicated. Also might interfere with the live bait I kept in the bucket...or the bucket of fried chicken.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
We always hang our floatation vests off the side of our tubes. Easy to grab if need to, but leaves the room on the tube for other stuff.
[signature]
I wouldn't want that cause then your jacket is soaked before you put it on. I tend to chill easily, I'm not exactly well insulated. [cool]
[signature]
Well, if I need to put it on, chances are I will already be wet (boat sinking). Never had to yet, knock on wood. If I float a river or the weather and water are real choppie, I have the vest on before I go out. But that's just me
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you need it, it will be wet before you put it on. A chill is the least of your worries at that point.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's like wearing clean underwear in case you are "in an accident". If you have an accident, your clean underwear are not likely to be so presentable.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Everyone has their own preferences and all tubes and toons are designed differently. The important thing is to have a PFD and have it where it is handy in case of need. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm thinking of going to the SOSpenders just to eliminate another item of bulk and to be protected in all cases.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]
[cool][#0000ff]Man, what an opening..."I don't have a cat". [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff](Drum roll...Ba-Dum-Dum) BUT...YOU DO HAVE A CAT...A SUPER FAT CAT.[/#0000ff] [/reply]

Yeah, but so far that cat hasn't left me any - 'er, shall we say, "deposits."

z~
[signature]
[reply]
[#0000ff]I'm thinking of going to the SOSpenders just to eliminate another item of bulk and to be protected in all cases.[/#0000ff] [/reply]

I've been using one of the Stearns inflatable PFDs for about three years. It works very well. Compared to the foam ones it is so comfortable you hardly know you have it on. One less thing to stow in the boat since its on your person.

Have I ever tried it? Once. One day I was walking back from fishing a small trout pond on foot. I had it on *under* my vest. (Dumb move.) I thought, "Ya know, I've never really tried this thing." At that instant I reached down (without contemplating the wisdom of such a move) and pulled the ripcord. The thing went off like a gunshot. Instantly I was puffed up like a toad in mating season. Well... it works, I thought, as I carefully exited my stretched to the limit fishing vest. I was glad no one was watching.

Now the whole world knows.

On that shakedown I learned three things: (1) It works - fast. (2) Don't wear it under your clothing. (3) Don't try it if anyone is watching unless you are in the process of going down in the waves.

The thing cost me about 80 bucks. It was $16.95 to replace the spent cartridge. My life is worth that much - for comic relief if nothing else.

BTW Tube Dude. I like your new avitar. You design that?

z~
[signature]