Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stillwater questions
i have fly fished a couple of times on a river but i would like to try my hand at stillwater. I don't really know where to start. i would like to try strawberry because i here so much about it. what line should i use? what size of leader is best? i am assuming that woolly buggers work well, are there any other patterns that i can pick up in the next couple of days that would be good? i have access to a float tube. i am going to try going on monday, or would it be best to wait a while longer?i know people don't like talking about fly fishing because i asked the same questions on a fly fishing site and got yelled at, but any help would be appreciated.
[signature]
I'm not sure where you got yelled at but dry your eye I'll help out.

I assume you have a floating line already? It can be put to good use on stillwaters. Most stillwater fishing is done subsurface which means you won't be using that floating line to float flies. When you use the floating line use a fly that is wieghted to fish just under the surface. Start adding shot on your leader either right at the hooks eye or 6" from the fly to get the fly even deeper. Once you have so much wieght added that it's difficult to cast you need to move on to another line.

Get yourself a Type III sink line. It will get you deeper than adding too much wieght to your floating line. The line will have a rated sink rate and you just count in seconds to get the line to the depth you want. From there you can also add wieght to go even deeper.

These two lines will take you a long way and are just right for the begginer.

You want a 4-6' leader of on smaller than 3X. You can just use a stragiht 3X leader from the fly line right to the fly. Use a loop type knot to tie on the fly.

WB's work well, don't forget some leech patterns like a mohair leech.

Technique can go on for pages and pages. Experiment with all kinds of retrieves. Short/Fast, Short/Slow, Medium/Fast, Medium/Slow, etc. Throw in some pauses and it can be a good idea to not have any set strip pattern, mix it all up. My best retrieve is a fairly quick 12" strip with a 2-3 second pause inbetween. Trolling works well also. Keep your tip down so that the there is no bend in the line, you want a straight connection from reel to fly. When you get a hit resist the urge to hook moby dick by lifting the rod. Use your stripping hand to strip in the line to set the hook.

Have fun.
[signature]
One good technique for flyfishing in a float tube is to get out into a "fishy" looking area, then begin fan-casting. Start at 12 oclock and keep turning a little with each cast, so you will eventually cover a circle of water all the way around you.

Mo-hair leeches and wooly buggers are definitely your best bets for Strawberry. Use olive, brown or black and sometimes reddish or maroon work well.

Another good pattern is an "egg-sucking leech" which is just a regular leech or wooly bugger, but the head is bright red/orange (like a salmon egg). The extra color contrast con sometimes trigger strikes when nothing else is working.
[signature]
thanks for the help.i was not Sad that i got yelled at on the other site just didnt want to offend anybody on this one. one more question i have a beginner 5 wt. rod will this be ok?
[signature]
That will be fine for starting out. I don't even KNOW what weight my rod is. I haven't used it in a year or two, and it's just a South Bend Walmart special cheap rod.

It'll get the job done, then as you improve your skills and understand more about what you need, you can go from there.
[signature]
It is now prime time for ice off at strawberry[Smile]. I would say besides the buggers and mohair leeches you should look to imitate what the fish at Strawberry actually feed on: Chubs. Chub imitations have been knocking them dead for a lot of my buddies the last couple of years. They also feed on on craw fish. Two colors that are over looked up there are white and chartreuse. Wooly buggers of these colors as lead patterns, 18" ahead of a chub pattern will work better than pop gear and worm!!
One technique that is awsome at ice off is to throw a fly on the ice and pull it off into the water,the fish will hit it on the drop.
Early season you may want a slower sinking line like a 1 or 2 but if you are only going to buy one do a 3.
Have fun up there!!!
P.S. Don't worry about hotspotting here,those people that got on your case are probably looking on BFT to see were the best places to fish are themselfs.
[signature]
not to sound dumb but what type of fish is a chub? is it like a carp? and what type of fly would imitate them? something with eyes on it?thanks again for the help.
[signature]
A chub is a non game fish, a nasty little bottom dweller, like cockroaches.
My input for Strawberry. I passed by Wed. morning and at that time (sure to have changed with the warmer weather, except Thurs) The Ladders bay had a good deal of open water and the damn portion of Soldier Creek. The rest was covered but, looked thin.
As far as line's III is great, but in addition a intermediate and later in the summer a faster sinking would be nice (or you can count down your III). I like the Depth Charge line.
Flies, leeches as mentioned. I prefer Gartside Softhackles in red/black, olive/brown & purple/black (which the purple and black work fantastic at last years ice off at 20' deep).
In addition, the Midnight Fire is deadly and I have a chub and a crayfish pattern (same pattern , just different colors) that kick a$$ also.
Understand, ice off doesn't mean it is going to be a slam dunk, it COULD be difficult. I hope not and tight lines all day.
Fly Goddess
[signature]
Click on the attatchment for a pic of a chub pattern.

A Chub is a non game species reviled by trout fisherman because they tend to over populate a lake and compete with trout for food. On the other hand their minnows are also a food source for trout and may be having an effect of making larger trout also.
[signature]