Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Livewell for float tube?
Question for Tubedude or anyone else...

I'm going to be catching some bass (hopefully) for a state sanctioned bass survey and transplant in early June. I'll either be fishing from my boat or my tube. I need a suggestion for an appropriate live well for the tube. My boat has one that circulates the water but the tube is another story. I've seen you guys use the floating fish baskets. Would this keep large bass in the 5 and 6 pound class alive? Keeping them alive is essential for the project. Thanks.

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have been using the large fish baskets (19"X30") for many years. While I usually do not keep bass, those I have kept have never died. In fact, other than a few wimpy trout, I have never had any fish die while being kept in those baskets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They also have a huge capacity. I have kept some very large hauls of perch, white bass, catfish and other species, and still had plenty of leftover space. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have a Sportsmans' Warehouse in your area, they have those big baskets for about $10. Most online suppliers are two to three dollars more.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you get one, be sure to tie the spring loaded trap door on the bottom closed. Big smart fish have been known to lift that opening and escape. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Many bassers and salt water tubers and tooners make live wells from nylon mesh bags, using some of that foam noodle material around the top for floatation. I have tried making a couple of those and I find that they tend to restrict the natural swimming and movement of fish more than being in a rigid wire basket.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Those wire baskets are great for keeping fish alive that you plan to keep. I dunno about for fish later to be released. They tend to damage their fins and skin trying to escape and may die later if let go.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have never had fish damage themselves while riding in the basket. Bass kind of mellow out and just keep swimming inside. Sometimes catfish, which tend to roll a lot, will end up with some scrapes, but seldom bass. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are quite a few float tube bass clubs around the country and they have released many fish from baskets with little mortality.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Perhaps the soft mesh net bags would be better on the fish if they can be kept from collapsing in on the fish? Any links on how to make one? Thanks.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You can make them with mesh laundry bags, or with the inexpensive collapsible nylon bags with wire corners.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here is a pic of one made by a So. Cal guy for live bait.[/#0000ff]
[Image: photo674.jpg]

Here is a [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=114642;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]LINK TO THREAD[/url] on some cheap mesh bags I found at a swap meet, but which you can get in a lot of department stores these days.

Also, a link to [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=199470#199470"]FISH BASKETS[/url].

The main idea is to create enough volume for the fish to swim within, and without loose sides to collapse in on the fish.

The noodles are easy to work with if you tie them starting in the middle and then working toward the ends.

Take some pics of your handiwork and what you end up with.
[signature]
You da man! Looks like that might be just the ticket. I'll be checking in to that and will let you know the results. Thanks bunches.

z~
[signature]
OK, I never kept a bass in one. I keep panfish and I thought since bass were in the panfish family they would suffer the same problems. I guess bass are tough! I dont usually keep bass, unless they are out of really clean water, they taste a bit fishy for me![Tongue]
[signature]
Bass are real tuff. More so than most fish, except carp.
I agree on the fishy taste, but I bet TD knows how to fix that[Wink]
[signature]
These bass (300+ if we can catch that many) will be going into holding pens for an ODFW survey and then will be transported by truck to several other lakes for release. Fish are in the 5-6 pound class. We hafta keep 'em alive. It's part of the deal.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Bass are tough, and smart enough not to kill themselves by smashing against the walls of their confinement. They can get stressed, however, both from a prolonged battle and being kept too long in any confinement. That is why the bass pros use those anti-shock chemicals in the water in their livewells.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The taste of bass is greatly dependent upon the water they live in. They can develop a"muddy" taste...almost as bad as some trout. Like most species, the smaller bass are usually better eating than larger ones. Another argument for releasing large fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not much you can do to improve the taste of nasty fish. Soaking overnight in lightly salted water...or milk...will help. Deep frying thoroughly and using both a coating and some dipping sauces will mask the taste. Better to just fish for fish that taste better.[/#0000ff]
[signature]