Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp?
I have posted on this board asking where to go carping a lot, burt I love catching them with a fly rod, it is so addicting. Is there any places right now that carp are stacked up? Has anyone been to Bountiful pond recently, if so are the carp active there? Thanks in advance for any info.
[signature]
The carp were not active at Bountiful Pond last Saturday.
[signature]
They are starting to stack up at Willard Bay. There are some shallows just south of the beach at the north marina. I was there 2 days ago scouting for some bow fishing. They were not really visible on the surface but when we went in there with the boat they were really making a ruckus.
[signature]
I've thought about going after them with a fly rod as well. What fly are you using to catch the carp and how are you fishing for them?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Like most species, carp are not too interested in food when they are "stacked up" and frolicing during the spawn. After they get through making babies though, they can be taken on a variety of flies, depending on the depth you are fishing and what they are feeding on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]While carp are mostly plant eaters, they also slurp up almost any kind of bug, worm or minnow they come across. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can catch carp in fairly clear water by using regular trout patterns for different aquatic insects. Anything from hare's ears to peacock nymphs will get the job done. On occasion, you will see them slurping dead insects and plant material from the surface, usually in the early morning. That is a good time to try dries.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the most effective carp flies in Utah, especially in murky water, is a small chartreuse marabou nymph. I have hung a lot of carp in Willard while fishing those for crappies. Basic black is also a good color.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The shallows, over sand or mud, either north or south of the north marina will host large numbers of actively feeding carp by the first of June. They seldom smack the fly. It just kind of stops, if you are doing a slow strip. In some cases, if you are sight fishing with a sunken fly, you have to watch the fish. If a cruising fish stops about where your fly is, lift the rod or pull on the line. If you feel weight, set the hook. Then, hang on. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pineview should also be "coming on" as far as the carp go. I haven't been up yet this spring, but this upcoming warm spell should really get the fish in a frisky mood!
[signature]