Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for TubeDude and other catfisherman
Hi, I am new to this forum and by browsing I can tell there are lots of good fisherman here. I have fished Utah Lake many times and have caught white bass, a walleye, lots of mud cats, crappie, carp, and a few largemouth...BUT, I have yet to catch what I deem to be the holy grail of the Lake...a Channel Catfish. I actually had a nice one on at the Lindon Harbor last summer but my knot was not tied right and it slipped somehow [pirate] Anyway, I don't have a tube but want to get into some channels. Is Lincoln Beach a good spot if you are fishing from shore? Also, what is the easiest way to get there? And lastly, what time of day is best to target Channel Cats this week? What is the upcoming warm spell going to do for catching cats? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for any info given. Anything you would do different at Lindon then you would do at Lincoln Beach as far as techniques go? I saw a post where a guy used chubs under a bobber to get some nice kitties at Lincoln Beach...are there chubs in utah lake? Where could I get some of those? They seemed to work good. Anyone ever use mackeral at Utah Lake? Ok thats enough questions for a few days [cool] Thanks again!
[signature]
Welcome to BFT!! Yes you have lots of questions, but you've come to the right place.

For starters, yes there are chubs in Utah Lake, but not in very large numbers. Mostly the lake is full of carp (as you probably already know). Carp meat works great as channel cat bait, casted out with no weight and let it sit on bottom. Chubs, Utah Suckers (NOT JUNE SUCKERS, lol), shiners, anchovies, white bass, and perch all make great bait as well. It really doesn't matter if the fish is naturally in the lake or not, the kittys don't mind.

The key is to fish in the right place at the right time. Lincoln can be excellent fishing from shore. You can fish off the two dikes that form the channel from the boat ramp out to the main lake. You can fish inside or outside the channel.

It all depends, sometimes it is better at night, and sometimes it is better in the day, however right now, I'd bet the mornings should be really good. Don't bother getting up really early, late morning the water will warm a bit and may turn the bite on.

Lincoln Beach is located on the South end of Utah Lake. The directions have been posted several times, so if you do a search on Lincoln Beach you should be able to find it. Or, just [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=114484;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]click here[/url] for the instructions.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Welcome aboard. You are among fiends...errr, friends. Lotsa kitty chasers on the board. You have already got some good input from Cat_Man. I will add a couple of things and attach a writeup I have done on Utah Lake Cats.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There will be a lot of good fishing in the coming months. The catfish season is just getting really started. Watch for posts on members planning trips and don't be bashful about inviting yourself along. That is the best way to learn the spots and how to fish them. We will have several get togethers over the summer. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Shore fishing for cats can be good in several spots around the lake. This year the high water levels have made some of the better spots kinda damp (under water). But, there is still a lot of good potential both from the bank and wading out around the edges of the reeds.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Fishing bait under a bobber is a favorite way of cattin' for many anglers. It's fun to watch that ol' bobber go dancin' and then plunge out of sight. However, probably more large fish are taken on "fly line" rigs, with no weight and letting the bait rest naturally on the bottom. Fish with an open bail and let the fish run a bit before setting the hook.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Spend some time learning good knots, and use good hooks and line. Cats are tough, and they will take advantage of any weak link in your system. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Stay in touch, and after you get some more basic understanding, feel free to ask your questions on the board, or send a PM to anyone who you feel might have the answers you need. And, let us know when you drag in some kitties. It will happen.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, mackerel is a great bait, especially for big cats at night. Just be sure you have your hook tied on right and an anchor on your leg, to keep from getting dragged in.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
thanks guys![cool]
[signature]
Ghoti.... Dudes writeup is MONEY!!! Go with that and you'll have your "holy grail" in no time. Personally, I think cats are common in Utah Lake and that most people chase the big Walleye as their "grail". My personal goal, especially after reading the Dude's writeup and talking to him in person is one of the big cats that makes water and mud go flying and tries to run off a couple hundred yards of line before burying himself in a tangle of willows or shore brush. If I can keep him from doing that and still land the fish to capture some photos, that'd be my "grail". Good luck on your quest... with all the nice cats in that lake, you'll have a great time earning it I'm sure. [cool]
[signature]
I will be at lincoln sunday chasing some cats from a toon.I can direct you to some spots were they have hung out at if you make it down that way.[Wink]
[signature]
Where do you live? I hit U.L. quite a bit & do pretty good for channels. Not like some of the pros but OK. Only thing I like better than fishing alone is fishing with company. I've got an old boat that'll get me anywhere on the lake in good time. I work a crazy schedule but if you'll shoot me a P.M. we can hook up one of these days & give it a try. Oh, I live in West Jordan.

GEEZER
[signature]
thanks for the info and offers. My schedule is a little wacky too but it seems that many people keep others posted of when they are going out on a fishing trip so if one happens to work out I might invite myself along sometime.

I have one more question about bait. Are there crayfish in Utah Lake? I don't think I have seen them personally but I would imagine there are some. If so, has anyone ever tried using live crayfish to catch kitties there?
[signature]
Thanks for all of the great advice. I haven't fished since I was kid (I'm 36 now), but I'm just getting into this year and having a blast.

I have a few newbie questions for you, TubeDude. What hook and line weight is good for catfish at Utah Lake. Do you use a slip bobber and let the bait sink to the bottom?

Also, I've heard people mention mud cats and channel cats. What's the difference?
[signature]
I'm no catfish expert either but "Mud Cat" is slang for a Bullhead Catfish, not Channel Catfish. Bullheads do not get really big (at least in Utah Lake)...they seem to be fairly cookie cutterish and most are around the same size (at least the ones I have caught). The state record is just over 3 lbs opposed to the Channel Cat record which is over 32 lbs. (taken from Utah Lake). There are some differences in coloration but the easiest way to decipher between the two is that the Bullheads have no fork in their tail while channels have a deeply forked tail.

Let the other guys teach you about techniques for cats. I do know a thing or two about catching trout on flyrods since that is what I spend the majority of my time doing, but targeting the channels is new and exciting ground for me too [cool]
[signature]
Not TubeDude, but I'll give you my .02. I use 8 to 10 lb. line for catfish-- don't set your drag too tight, but don't let em run you all over either. I use size 1/0 hooks usually but it kind of depends what bait you are offering. Make sure your hooks are sharp and your knots are good. I fish on the bottom with a 1/2 oz sliding sinker on a barrel swivel (kinda like a carolina rig) and keep a taunt line to detect bites (a little bell on the rod tip is a good thing). Several guys on this site recommend pitching your bait out weightless with an open bail and letting the fish pick up the bait and run before setting the hook. I had a friend that I used to catfish with alot that was a big fan of berkley fireline (I think in 12lb.?). I tried it and it is great for detecting light bites but if you get fouled on anything it is a real b*&^% to break it off.

A mud cat or bullhead usually goes 10-12" and is green with a yellow belly. The tail on a mud cat is NOT forked. A channel cat has a forked tail and can reach large sizes (the state record went over 30lbs. out of Utah lake). Night crawlers catch mud cats great, but if you want the mudders to leave you alone while you fish for channels, put on a chunk of cutbait.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Ya gotta love it. The moderator goes fishing for the morning and all the other members chip in with the good advice. I guess I'll go back out fishing. Don't need me here.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just got back from Lincoln Beach. I'll be posting a report and pics later. THE BITE IS ON. Today, I used size 4 strong bait hooks, with extra sharpening before using. I tie them directly to my line, with no weight. Really had to finesse the fish a few times today. They pick it up and drop it several times. If they feel drag or resistance they do not come back. Got 4 channels up to 6.5 pounds, on minnows, and one bullhead on a purple plastic jig.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A slip bobber rig can be deadly in some situations. I like to use a bobber whenever fishing over weedy or rocky bottom. Many people do not realize that cats will sometimes come up a long ways to take a baited hook below a bobber. But, ideally, you should set the bobber to hold the bait within a foot or so of the bottom.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I used 4 different rods and rigs today, including bobbers and corky rigs (bait floated up off the bottom). I got hits on everything I tried, but could only hook up with the "fly line" (no weight) rig.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I fished line from 6# to 14# today, depending on the rig. All 4 of the fish I landed (and three or four I didn't) were hooked on the rig with 8# line. I use the Silver Thread Excalibur and find that it is plenty of line for all but the biggest hairiest old he-cats in Utah Lake. Of course, if you are fishing around a lot of brush, the braided lines or tougher mono will save some fish for you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't let the turned up noses fool you. The little bullheads (mud cats) can be a lot of fun and are good eating too. I know more than a few cat fanciers that would rather have a panful of fried bullhead fillets than some from a big channel cat. I tend to agree.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Stick around and join in on one or more of our get togethers. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Lots of crawdads in Utah Lake, and even more with the high water and all of the new flooded habitat. They do well when they can have a place to live and hide.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have caught several cats this spring with fresh crawdad remains in them. We had a discussion on the board recently about that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=253568;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]LINK TO RECENT POST[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Crawdads are always good bait. Just be sure you pay attention to the regulations. You can use them live where you catch them, but may not transport them live...FOR ANY REASON.[/#0000ff]
[signature]