Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Trip to Utah Lake
Finally made it after the kats, launched at daylight at Saratoga and headed north. Caught some real nice channels on carp meat and minnows, the minnows were by far the preferred bait rigged with a little corky. Also caught a couple of white bass on jigs made by Tube Dude (thanks), they were both full of eggs and released to do their thing. Only fished till early afternoon as the youngest son had lawns to mow. When we launched we were the only ones there, but was it packed when we got back to the ramp. The high water has sure made a lot of difference on fishing spots.
[cool][#0000ff]That's the way to get the year started. Glad you found some willing kitties...and whities.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]How deep were the cats? In around the brush or out deeper?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Most of the fish were real close to some rocks. I am thinking it was because of the warming effect. We had to float almost everything with slip bobbers or corkys but still lost some hooks. We were in 3 to 4.5 feet. Also saw lots of carp rafts.
[cool][#0000ff]I think the cats are spawning now. I have been taking a higher percentage of males in my catch, and both males and females are spawned out. There are probably a lot of the fish that are just going into the cover to build nests and drop those precious eggs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After the spawn, look for lots of fish to be in and out of the brush foraging for minnows and looking for crawdads. You can usually take a few fish out on the flats, but the fastest action will probably continue to be in close, near cover.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This next week will probably be gangbusters for carp hunters. They are already thrashing wherever the water has warmed over 65. That will be the whole lake after another day or two of high temps. [/#0000ff]
[signature]