Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 05-15-06
Myself and my tournament partner Fish1on hit Willard for some pre scouting and fish Taunting. We were on the water by 6:10 and fished till 8:10. Caught one about 11". My first wiper ever. Snapped a photo and let him go. We had about 5 other goods strikes but were unable to hook up. We fished the regular haunts that everyone else does. I did however try a new way that Petty turned me onto. It worked great. We had the best luck with pop gear and a bologna sandwich with miracle whip. Not mayo, They turned their nose up at that.

Looking forward to the tourney on Saturday. See ya all there!
[signature]
Hey man,Nice fish,
But I would lose that swivle and go to just a snap.
JMOA
[signature]
Only one fish? I see the problem is your snap swivel... it makes the lure spin 360 underwater...

I see your producer which I use too.I just tie my line directly to it with a very low memory (line) and it works like a charm.

The other day I tried some popgear which didnt quite work so I used a downrigger in the bathtub area which netted results! Surprise surprise!
[signature]
Where is the "bathtub" area and what is it?
[signature]
I agree with fishinfool and ICP about losing the swivel. Makes it easy to change lures, but loses the built-in action of the lure. I also tie directly but uses a Rapala knot, basically a loop on the ring/eye of the lure so it is free-swinging but doesn't make it spin. You can search the net for a diagram of the Rapala knot. Nice looking fish!!
[cool] Thanks for the info on the Swivel guys. What about a small clip that doesn't swivel? I have no problem with tying if need be, However the clip does make it easier.
[signature]
I use the small black Berkeley Cross Lok swivels on crank and jerk baits and have never had a problem with bait spinning on the retrieve. Does this just happen with some lip less cranks?
[signature]
I use a swivel and have not had any problems with spinning lures. Of course if you are trolling 5 MPH, you will spin just about anything! Just ask Petty! I also prefer the real mayo, and not miracle whip![Tongue]
[signature]
We were trolling at 2.4 to 2.8 according to my gps. It did not seem to effect the amount of strikes that we had. I am going out again between now and Saturday and will try one pole with and one without a swivel. See what the results are. Those fish are to damn picky! by the way it was miracle whip light. They are getting a little pudgy![Wink]
[signature]
I have always used swivels????? I even check my lure to see that it is tracking correctly and such. Never had a problem before??? Might be something to this though??? I run the swivel to aid in changing out size and color lures. I also use a swivel trolling at bear lake! As far as I can tell the lure is running true??? Do you all believe it may deter strikes because it looks un natural? I feel that the wipers are a predatory species and once they commit to something the little extra metal on the lure is the least of thier concerns.

BTW it was not bologna it was spam and Kraft real mayo! LOL

The pop gear is still in the tackle box all knotted up for Saturday's adventure. It will give me something to do while I am trolling around catching nothing but full loop da loops on my cranks.
[signature]
Hey, you will catch plenty of gnats, if nothing else. That should keep you well entertained Saturday!!! Good luck!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Well, well, well. Lookee who finally signed on. Welcome aboard, Ma'am. You are a fisherperson of the first order. Happy to see you here.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When are the younguns gonna get a BFT handle. I think Sam will be giving both her parents a run for the money soon, if she doesn't already.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I dont tie directly,I use a small snap clip.it doesn't have the swivle part,and is nice to switch out lures quick.The smaller the lure the smaller the clip I use,the wipers haven't busted me off yet.I get mine from sportmans.they have 5 different sizes.I use them on all my cranks,use a swivle whenever you have anything that spins or with slip rigs when bait fishing.
fnf
[signature]