Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard carp report 5-16-06
I got out today for some bowfishing. I am just starting out this year. I had a ok day with 3 fish in the boat and a few long line releases. The carp were all around 30" long so they were good sized. I found that getting low in the boat and sneaking up on carp on the surface was very effective. The water in the shallows is VERY murky with only about 7" visibility. There were a few shots I got that were not on the surface but it is difficult to manuver a boat and hold the bow and get a shot without spooking them. I wish the water was a bit more clear but I have no control over that.

Anyway the pigs eat carp just fine.[Wink]

Heres to carp kabobs.
[signature]
Sounds fun to me! I need to get out. I might make a trip down to UL towards the end of the week for some stickage! Pigs will eat just about anything!
[signature]
Stick away boys! I went out this last week, but got denied myself. Watch out for the carp in Utah Lake. There was a report today that said that they had high levels of toxins in them. I would have to be in pretty bad shape to eat a carp, but I would assume that feeding them to livestock may have some potential problems. Kill 'em all, Jake
[signature]
I have never and hopefully never will eat a carp, but I am curious about these "toxins". Where did you read this report?
Nevermind...

Do carp really have fat? Is it the same as the oils in salmon meat? Are there other fish in UL that have fat? I'm not edumacated in this subject at all, anyone know about these PCB's?
[signature]
Here is a link to the [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_Fishing_C55/General_Discusion_F58/Utah_Lake_Carp_Advisory_P262075/"]Utah lake carp advisory[/url] thread.

I have canned and eaten carp before. My kids eat it just fine also. The worst part for me is how FREAKING stinky these fish are. Its best to get them gutted and on ice AS SOON as you catch them if you are going to eat them otherwise you need to gut them and release them as soon as you catch them[Wink].

I have been told that carp are a excellent source of fish oils and calcium because of all the damn bones.
[signature]
I think that the stink is what turns me off the most. It is true that fish bones do contain very high levels of Calcium. I had a doctor tell me that this was in fact the best source. I wish I could convince my pregnant wife that they are good for you!! Jake
[signature]
Myself and Yper fished willard yesterday from the se corner to the freeway and saw a large number of carp sitting on the surface toward the se corner. If you used an electric, you could get quite a few. Caught 2 small wipers on jointed shad raps. OOPS! should have kept my mouth shut, now everbody will be catching wipers. LOL
[signature]