Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flying with Carp
Hey fellow fly fisherman,
I was wondering if anyone knows a great place to go catch some
carp. I have heard they are a blast to catch on a fly rod but i have yet to try it. What is the best thing to use? the best presentation or setup? Any information will be appreciated.

Cant wait for the rivers to die down and get my fly wet!!
[signature]
The lower Provo near Utah Lake. Just don't eat them[sly]
[signature]
Is it better to be on a pontoon on the lake or in the river itself? Have you caught them with a fly rod before?
[signature]
I was talking about the river, but I am sure the lake is a good target also. I have to admit I haven't fished for them, but it was a a regular thing with the guys at the store. They had a blast. And yes it was on a fly. Mulberry, bread, haresear with rubber legs flies.
[signature]
they are very heavy around the edges of Willard bay now but they have one thing on their mind. If you could figure out how to tie a female Carp you can catch all you want!!! the slew that is on the out side of willard is also loaded with them but they are the spookiest fish you will ever find.
[signature]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=13249;]

[black][size 3]Carp fishing on the fly is one of my favorites. Here is a photo of one from Utah lake from last year.

Utah lake, Willard, Jordan River and just about any other lower elevation warm-ish body of water in Utah can be good for carp. Look for them in ponds, lakes and slow moving portions of the rivers - often in or around the brush. They can also hang in open water but can be more challenging to catch on a fly in those locations.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Try hairs ear , dragon fly, or other big buggy looking nymphs. Leach, bugger patterns, and even san juan worms can also work well. Like any other fish, some patterns work at certain times and at other times other patterns work better. Carp can spook easily and plan on sight fishing them. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]A slow stripping and twitching presentation with careful pauses between is one technique that can work well. Look for the feeding carp in shallow water.

I would recommend at least a 3X sized tippet and make sure your knots are tied well. Also, expect to be taken well into your backing when those freight trains take off on a run.
[/size][/black]
[signature]
Pineview is another great place to catch em'. I've stuck a few on the fly rod up there. they are a blast. that a great place to go because you also have the chance of sticking a tiger muskie. those guys really put up a fight.

Trent
[signature]