Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First outstanding trip
First of all -no picks. The wife still refuses to take her $2000 camera with us fishing and we haven't gotten round to buying an el cheapo yet.
So for now the best I can do is offer you folks a report.
From 10h00 to 15h30 the tally was outstanding.
My wife:
1x 22" LMB 4 1/2 lb
1x 16" pickrel
2x 16" crappie
1x 12" bluegill
Lost a big bass.

Me:
1x 22" LMB 5 1/2 lb
1x 18" LMB 3 1/4 lb
1x 28" pickrel
1x 18" pickrel
1x 15" pickrel
2x 17" yellow perch
1x 13" yellow perch

Best day of the year so far. All the LMB, perch and pickrel were nailed in shallow structure and tree overhangs except for my biggest LMB. I nailed him off the edge of a ledge with some deeper structure.
The large pickrel, yellow perch and both my bass were nailed on a natural RAPALA X-RAP. My other's were caught on Foxtail tail spinners and a RAPALA SHALLOW DIVER.
My wife's LMB was hooked on a natural bomber.
The bass she lost was hooked on a natural X-RAP.
The rest of her fish were banged on a #4 PANTHER MARTIN in yellow/red pattern.

In NY it is really difficult to find places that aren't fished out.
The two places we frequent now are my friend's private lake which none of the residents fish and it has a nice fish population. The other is a lake which takes some hiking to get to (thus few except hard-core naturalists go there) and has monsters in it. Somewhere in there is the Loch Ness. It took my wife's Blade Dancer in an explosion of water, showing us only his tail (which was massive) and snapped her line as though it were rotten cotton before she had time to adjust her drag.
We keep this place a secret between us as we are strictly release fisher people and are fearful of it being over fished.
Anyhow, it was a wonderful day - cool in the morning and only warm in the afternoon.
Tubing that lake is simply paradise to us. Deer prance around, hawk swoop from the skies and snatch fish from the surface, birds dart past you in an insect feeding frenzy. A true dreamworld in NY state. May God hold this place dear and give it protection.

-ABT-
[signature]
WTG ADDICTED, CONGRATS ON THE BUCKETMOUTHS AND THE OTHER FISHY CRITTERS. KEEP THOSE SPOTS TO YOURSELVES THEY SOUND AWSOME.

AT
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Excellent report...even without pictures. I think you are truly getting a feel for the appeal of tubing. It allows you to effectively fish waters that are overlooked, unavailable or otherwise not abused by other anglers. And, it simultaneously allows you to enjoy all of the other sensory experiences without noise pollution, exhaust fumes, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Too bad about losing the big one, but it has already created memories that will keep you awake the night before your next trip. You may have lost round one, but you have added to your mental picture database.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks for sharing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
dang ABT...did you order the weather you had for this trip?...just wondering as I live North Central PA right at the NY state line and its been nothing but miserable here...rain, sun cool, wind gusts everyday from 10 to 25 mph...hope fully maybe we are somewhat close and could hook up and wet a line and a whistle sometime...

Anyhow sounds like a grand outing and a great rundown of fish caught...congrats on a fine day...

Bassguy64
[signature]
It was the 6th of May, sorry - got my weekends mixed up as my wife so graciously pointed out to me just now. Aldzheimers at 36 ... wow.
last week end we fished my friend's private lake. It was a good day. My wife nailed a 17" pickerel and some smaller ones. I got one LMB of about 2lb and a bunch of smaller ones. Good fun and nice weather. We fished from the banks as we didn't have much time at hand ... my mother in law was waiting to spend mo's day with us.

Where in PA are you at?

-ABT-
[signature]
Was windy and cool that day too but still blows my mind how my youngun caught his LMB on a topwater...she musta been spawining right close and she spied the lure (see pic post)...thats a nice Pickerel @ 27" you guys caught...

Anyhow I am 15 miles south of Corning NY just inside the NY line in PA in a little town called Lawrenceville on Rte 15...other landmarks...Buffalo = 3hrs west, Rochchester = 2hrs northwest, Syracuse = 2.5hrs north, NYC = 4hrs east...as far as PA goes we are 1hr north of Williamsport PA....thanks for the reply

Bassguy64
[signature]
We stay in NYC, but most of our fishing is done around Rockland/Bethel/Mount Hope counties. We smallmouth and trout fish the Delaware between Sparrowbush and Pond Eddie, too.
I'm always ready to wet a line with someone, sogetting together for a Saturday would be good.
There is another private lake in Penn which a friend of mine has access to. It is rarely fished (no houses on its shoreline ... just trees and bush) and it seems it requires a little hiking to get onto the water. I have not fished it, but it looks like prime bass/pickrel/perch water.
My email addy is: [url "mailto:threedeejesus@yahoo.com"]threedeejesus@yahoo.com[/url].

P.S. Almost all the bass I am getting are in the shallows or off shelves.

-ABT-
[signature]
Went again on Saturday. Weather was crappy. Upper forties, intermittant rain and gusts of wind.
I got one 2lb LMB buck in the shallows amongst some reed and branch structure with a #F07 Rapala, natural pattern.
Also got a 16" Chain Pickerel on a pink X-Rap.

All -in all, we only spent about two hours out before we called it quits.

-ABT-
[signature]
Nice work considering the weather and the slow bite here in the Northeast...I did a bit of shore fishing last week and the bite was really slow...I did manage 4 LMB dragging a lizard around on a Carolina Rig...Also lost a big Walleye at the Spillway and my Rapala as well...

sure am looking forward to the better weather this week and weekend...

Bguy64
[signature]
Won't plan on it 'til I SEE it ... lol.

-ABT-
[signature]