Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Twin Lakes-Weston Report
A friend (Kingfisheral's son) and I arrived at Twin Lakes at about 8:00 in the morning on Sat. We fished the south bank of the south lake for bluegill. The bluegill were not on their beds yet, but they were staged just off of them in 5-8ft of water. We caught as many as we cared to on nymphs and then we got them to go on top at around 11:00 but only for a short while because the ski boats started slamming the banks with their wakes.

I did get one big surprise when I caught a 10" crappie. I have never caught a crappie in Idaho before. I wish I could find them consistently. I released it because I have never seen them before.

The bass were tough to come by because there was a bass tournament going on and so every little holding area was getting hit over and over again. My friend did manage to catch a couple of decent ones before we took off. We left at around noon and went to Johnson res., but the wind was blowing way too hard to go out in so we took a nap and waited for it to blow over. It never stopped so we took off for Weston Res.

When we got to Weston their was almost no wind. We fished until around 8 at night. I ended up catching 11 rainbows in the 13" range and one 17" rainbow that was just awesome it did three huge jumps into the horizon. I had most of my sinking line out and all of a sudden there was a fish in the sky I didn't think it could be on my line because it was so far away. It is neat to see a fish that powerful that can get 6' out of the water and then gravity takes hold and it comes plunging back down any way I was impressed with the power in that fish.

I also caught one small bass and a 11" perch. My friend was concentrating on the bass and he caught a whole bunch of them when they turned on around 7:00 at night. Most of them were small but a couple of them were in the 14-15 inch range. He also caught an 11" perch and a 13" perch. The perch were very random we could not key in on them although they did have nice size to them.

All fish were caught fly fishing with leeches, poppers, nymphs. It was a great day and I think spawning will really take off this week and the next.

Good Luck to all and let us know how you do on your trips.

Windriver
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]Great Report! I was wondering about Twin Lakes. Maybe I'll give it a few more weeks before I make the trip from SLC up there to tangle up with some of the gills and bucketmouths.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3][/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff4040][size 3]I was thinking about taking my fly setup also since I'm not very good, I think some practice on the gills will help. What nymphs were working best for you on the gills? I have quite a few poppers that have always worked, but was just wondering what nymphs were best. Thanks for any help in advance.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
The bluegill are not particular on what type of nymphs they want. The best ones are beadhead tex favorites, hares ears, prince nymphs, pheasant tails etc... I guess just standard nymphs work well. Sometimes small nymphs with rubber legs work even better. It is more a matter of finding a school then the actual fly.

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I've heard several reports of crappie being caught out of Twin this winter as well as a few this spring. Sounds like the population might take hold.[Smile]
[signature]