Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon second round in my tube
I need some serious help with this place. Two weeks ago I fished in the cover near the Hennefer turn-off and only caught 4 dinks. I never saw any large fish rise in this area.

This time I decided to head towards the main inlet. I started out with type II sink line using leeches and buggers. No luck nada! Switched over to my floating line with an indicator and various nymphs such as a hares ear, zebra midge, glo bug, san juan worm and others. Still nothing.

At approximately 7pm or so until dark, big trout started jumping consistently all around me. Again, I tried various flies under an indicator, some midge drys, and an ant dry. The only thing I could see on the water was a few little ant/knat looking things. Some of the rises were fairly big splashes and some were slurpers. There were also a few very small midges flying around. I don't believe I'm an expert fly fisher, but I usually find a way to catch fish. Can anyway give me any advice on this water? What flies, lines, how long to let the line sink, or other valuable information.

thanks,

Justin [url "mailto:dryfly77@msn.com"]dryfly77@msn.com[/url]
[signature]
Just a thought. I was fishing with a buddy a few years ago and I was doing quite well on a type 2 sinking line and olive bugger. He was using the same thing and didn't even get a hit. Later in the day we decided the onlu thing different in our rigs, was that he was using a tapered leader that was about 8' long. I was using only about 5' of tipit tied to my fly line. His fly would drop lower than his fly line and that made it swim funny. If your leader is longer than 5' try making it shorter and see if that helps.
Also be sure to fish at different depths and try adding scents to your fly where it is legal.
[signature]
I would highly reccomend buying some fluorcarbon. Its $10 a for a spool of 30 meters or so, but I swear by it. It will CATCH fish. I also suggest more experimentation. Try more flies, going down tippet size, leader length, etc... eventually you will find something that works, just be patient. good luck dude.

-Anthony
[signature]
Great advise on the leader length and Fouro. I tye two flies on in the "Y" connection and different lengths on both. Also, I try not to use weighted flies on stillwater and let the line put the flie where it needs to be.
[signature]
flro rocks. I heard a lot of rumor about flor in the fly shop. Even on of the employee's was telling customers not to buy it because he had lot a steelhead on it. He was one of those types that neve did anything wrong so it couldn't have been his knots.

It was a great article

Trent
[signature]