Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Bass!
I went back to the Bass honey hole yesterday and did even better than last time. Weather was nasty. Whitecaps on the lake nearly turned me back after the 125 mile drive that started at 5 A.M. This shot was taken at a quieter moment.

[inline windy-1.jpg]

But I finally just decided to go out anyway figuring that the worst that could happen might be that my tube would get blown up on shore and I would have to walk back. That never happened, though at times I was riding swells that caused me to catch my breath. Sometimes it was like trying to fish from a pogo stick. A few sessions I was unable to kick against wind gusts and was moved backward or into the shore. I just had to stay stationary until a calm between the gusts.

[inline windy-2.jpg]

With all the commotion of the wind and the waves crashing onto the rocks on shore, the big guys and girls were on the prowel. This lake continues to pump out big bass like this:

[inline LMB-1.jpg]

And this:

[inline LMB-2.jpg]

And this:

[inline lmb-4.jpg]

The hot fly of the day was this Bunny Leech fished on a #4 fast sinking 30 foot shooting head. The fly is unweighted. I substituted melted weed eater cord for the regular dumbell eyes. Such a rig allows the fly to ride above the line as it works its way down the sloping shore into deep water.

[inline eel-1.jpg]

At times it got very dark.

[inline dark.jpg]

At one point a sneaker wave pitched me very hard sideways. I had a brand new (untethered) net laying in the back of my Super Fat Cat. Unknown to me at first, the commotion pitched the net into the water. I regained my composure just in time to turn around and watch the net sink out of sight. I had thought with the big foam handle it would float but not so. Bye bye net.

The fishing was so good that I could hardly cry long over the lost net though. And lipping bass is fairly easy over the edge of the tube.

[inline lmb-5.jpg]

[inline lmb-6.jpg]

It was interesting to compare the fishability of the tube with the pontoons and hard boats that were in the area. Unless the toon and boat guys anchored they were hopelessly spun around and off their fishing track. Most of them gave up and went in. Though it took some kicking, and I had to suffer a couple of painful leg cramps, I was able to keep my fly in the fish zone most of the time.

My final score for the day was 11 fish hooked, 8 landed. All of them were better than 4 pounds. The largest was a little better than 6. These four came to the shore at the end of the day.

[inline zzz3.jpg]

I would normally have released all of these prespawn fish. However, these bass are scheduled for removal during June. ODFW will attempt to take as many as possible with the help of fly fishermen (regs are fly fishing only) and augment the take by electrofishing the spawning beds. The bass will be kept alive and transported to other bass lakes. These bass aren't supposed to be here as this is a trophy trout lake. Electrofishing the spawning beds in the past probably accounts for the lack of smaller fish available right now. They're all lunkers. While such a statement borders on blasphemy here in trouty Oregon, it wouldn't break my heart if they started managing this lake as a trophy bass lake. But I guess that isn't in the plans. Anyway, the fishing is nice while it lasts. I hope to make it over one more time before the big fishout. It's gonna be hard to go back to regular fishing after this.

zonker
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey zonker,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Them are some mighty fine looking fillets you got to take home. Like you, I would probably release those big spawners so they could reproduce, but, I'm also one of those folks that really likes to eat bass. Since the Wildlife folks want the assistance, I think you sould do your part to help - I only wish I was up there to give y'all a hand making that trophy trout fishery come back by inviting lunkers like that to dinner.[/size][/black]

[Smile]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great stuff. Looks like you are trying to outdo the Dude in braving the elements. That was a good proving ground for your. It probably gave you a lot more confidence both in your own abilities and in the "seaworthiness" of your tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those are really some nice bass. Good pics too. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great report and super nice pics Zonker, thanks.

I was able to finally get out again yesterday (its been 2 weeks) here in the Northeast...70 degrees and light wind but with gusts to about 15 mph...I also found it very hard to stay in the zone between water current and gusts...avg water depth was about 10' but all the fish were in the dropoffs in 20' to 25' of water...

I have two 1lb round sinkers tied on nylon rope that helped slow me down but didn't hold me...I guess a little more weight is going to be in order...

Bguy64
[signature]
[reply]
[#0000ff]That was a good proving ground for your. It probably gave you a lot more confidence both in your own abilities and in the "seaworthiness" of your tube.[/#0000ff] [/reply]

You're right about both the personal confidence level increase and the experience with seaworthiness of the tube. I didn't expect to be able to continue fishing in these conditions. Though it was slow going (I got those "looks" from the guys on the shore when I, a lone tuber, launched amid the boats and toons) I found that my mental attitude was the biggest issue. (Don't get in a hurry, put one foot in front of the other, stay closer to shore until you're sure of your footing, strap on the PFD snuggly, if it doesn't work you can turn around and come back in.) When I came back in though, it was a different story. No one else that I talked to had caught any fish. They fought the elements and lost. (To mitigate the difference in results it is important to remember that many Oregonian fly fishermen don't know how to fish for bass and are fishing here for them for the first time. I suspect the local shops have experienced a upsurge in purchase of new 8 weight fly rods.) I was in a position to expound (humbly) on the virtue of the lowly tube as a fishing tool. Don't know if I made any converts but I did give a couple of them pause to reconsider their misunderstanding of such "entry level" craft and their rush past it in pursuit of more glamorous vessels. More speed would have been nice, and perhaps a little more potassium in the diet for the leg cramps, but other than that the tube is a fine fishing machine.

z~

[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I do not know how many times over the past umpteen years I have either said or written: "The float tube is a serious fishing system. It is not just a poor man's fishing novelty."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Believe me, I have purposely challenged the elements on multiple occasions, just to get an idea of what the real limitations were...for me and my craft. In most cases I think I wear out long before my SFC is ready to go home.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It sure is tough to hold down the pride and not gloat too much, ain't it?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]
[cool][#0000ff]I do not know how many times over the past umpteen years I have either said or written: "The float tube is a serious fishing system. It is not just a poor man's fishing novelty."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Believe me, I have purposely challenged the elements on multiple occasions, just to get an idea of what the real limitations were...for me and my craft. In most cases I think I wear out long before my SFC is ready to go home.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It sure is tough to hold down the pride and not gloat too much, ain't it?[/#0000ff] [/reply]

Yesterday I went back and re-read the "Serious Fishing System" chapter of your unpublished book and was impressed with the truth of your words there as you compared the float tube with other methods like boats, bank fishing, and pontoons. Its a factor that many will probably miss out on simply because they aren't listening.

BTW, do you have any new chapters done that you're willing to let out for perusal by an admiring fan? I'm anxious to uncover new secrets.

z~

[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I am working on a MAJOR rewrite. That is one chapter I have not rewritten yet. There is much that has changed since I penned (typed) the copy you have. However, I have so completely rewritten other chapters that they are not recognizable as being the same chapters as the originals.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will send over a few of the rough drafts that I have completed and would appreciate your input on content, style, completeness, etc. Should I use the email address at Comcast? That is also my service provider. Email works better than PM since BFT limits us to two attachments per send.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Yes, please use the Comcast address.

I look forward to reading what you have written.

[signature]
Z, I wonder if you ever learn on how others did on the bass fishing out there? (How many was caught and how many pounds a fish was...)
Seems like good news when the times comes that those guys are gonna move the bass somewhere else than let them go to waste.
I remember one lake up on Gunflint Trail they did the same to the Smallmouth but when time was up they had to poison out the lake then stock it with Rainbows.
BTW how do u cook the bass?
[signature]
WTG BASSMASTER Z. 5 POUND AVERAGE AND IT'S NOT A TROPHY BASS LAKE? UNBELIEVABLE! BASS FISHERMEN WOULD KILL TO FISH A LAKE LIKE THAT HERE IN CALI. TAKE ADVANTAGE WHILE YOU CAN Z.

AT
[signature]
AT,

I've been over there three times now. Next week will be the last week before the big fishout. Though the bass are large and have been fairly obliging to my fly presentations, I did manage to get skunked on my trip over yesterday. High sun, glassy calm water, ospreys on constant patrol - nobody else was catching anything either. Apparently those bass decided that they would clear out of the area to wait for better conditions. I waited around hoping to get some wind for cover but it never happened - which is rather odd for Central Oregon. All I got was tired.

BGMan,

Don't know how others did as it is a very large lake. I didn't cook the bass. I gave 'em to a couple who had been skunked for the day. They were delighted. I still have quite a few fish in my freezer from last year so I saw no point in adding more. I would have simply released them (I did release 4) but they looked hungry and had fished all day with no results.

z~
[signature]