Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Fishing at Willard today (Jan. 31, 03)
Well it was hot and we were fishing at Willard but the catching was not hot. We fished in the North marina first, water temp was 41.5 degree, marked fish but no takers. We then went over to the south east corner and made a few passes, tried worm harness, jigs, lures and everything else we could think of and no luck. Water temp was 39.5 and we found a few fish close to shore in 10 to 12ft of water. We went out a little deeper, 13 to 15 ft of water and started marking fish and again no takers. We thought we saw some birds diving
but when we got close it was just seagulls by the feedlot, we headed over to the entrance to the south marina, marked no fish but water temp was 39.7 We headed over to the south west corner and again no fish, water temp was down to 38.7, went up to the light pole marked a few scattered fish. The light pole is gone but in its place is a new airboat return light(marker beacon for airboats). This area is the deepest part of the lake, now only 20ft. We next went to the island and it is still underwater but not by much, water temp 39.5, we marked no fish. It was almost time to leave so we went to the outlet
area of the north dike and marked a ton of fish, big and small but again no takers, water temp 39.4 While I was there I bought my state park pass for 2003, the only area you can launch from is the middle of the ramp. I talked to a guy that was fishing from shore but he had no luck either, it was still a nice morning to be on the water and my first time on the water in January at least at Willard. No other boats on the lake, I wonder why. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Hey WH2 ...[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Nice report. Sounds like you gave it a good college try anyway ... hitting all the spots, trying all the stuff ... living up to your name. I've been wondering just what it would be like out there this time of year. The weather was so mild yesterday, as I was walking around the yard, I was thinking I should have "gone to Willard today". And I probably would have but I was concerned that the wind (breeze) would have made it a little rough for me in my little boat. I suspect that, unless winter doesn't soon start to act like winter, those "cool water" wipers might soon start to show some activity around the inlet.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]WH2, and anyone else reading this post, what's your experience of when the wipers begin to get a little more catchable?[/size][/font]
[signature]
Predator is the master when it comes to early season fishing at Willard but in my log book the earliest I have caught wipers is
April and it does not get good until May. Predator has told me stories about catching them when there is ice on the lake between ice chunks, so I thought with all the nice weather I would give it a good. WH2
[signature]
You crack me up WH2. But its true. You can catch fish out there now. I just got done getting my boat out and ready for the early season on willard. Hopefully next saturday I will have a few pics to post up. No ice chunks to weave around this year. Curious WH2, how deep is the north marina? I have noticed the water is coming up. The newly placed trees are almost under water now, where they were quite a ways out two months ago. I have been pondering the whole willard situation the last few weeks as I gear up to fish it. I will send you a private message with my thoughts cause I know you love to hear them. Hee Hee.
[signature]
The North Marina is 4 to 6 feet deep and although the channel looks shallow it is at least 4ft in the center, make sure you launch in the middle of the ramp. I look forward to seeing your pictures.WH2
[signature]