Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pig 5-26
Fished the Pig today with Theekillerbee and AFDan52. launched at 6:30am trolled over by the dam and picked up a few fish on shasta stuff, i got a 17in brown on a pink kokanut and finally started to get into the kokes about 9am till 11am turned off like a switch. trolled mstly serface stuff to get the kokes. tkb also got a 12in brown. probly 20 fish caught today between the 3 of us
[inline pigbrown.jpg]

petty 17" brown

[inline brandonpigbrown.jpg]

TKB Brown
[inline brandonkoke.jpg]

heres what wiperhunter2 has been waiting for WATER TEMP
Cool to the touch
[inline cooltothetouch.jpg]
[signature]
Was a great day on the water with a couple of good eggs. Dan, it was nice to finally meet/fish with you. Jason had top honors with the biggest fish. I'm surprised we boated 2 browns while trolling. I usually don't get any. Lots of fun, thanks guys!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3] TKB, it was good to finally put a face with the name. Hope we can hook up again, had a good time even though I didn't really get into the fish like you and Petty did. I am hoping that that funny smell is finally gone, LOL. Only time will tell. Thanks for a fun time.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Sweet guys!
[signature]
Way to go . I never been there . How is the boat ramp there ? Is there a dock for launching ?
[signature]
primitive boat launch (dirt). no docks
[signature]
The boat ramp is just a glorified dirt road. Kinda bumpy and rocky. There are no docks there either. It's really a small lake with wakeless speeds only.
[signature]
Thats what I thought . I see Petty has his boat out there so I bet I could do it sometime . I just launch alone a lot so a dock is a big plus . Thanks guys .
[signature]
I think you could easily do it. The shore on the side is steep, so you can get your boat right up next to it and hop in without actually beaching the boat.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3] Randy , I don't think that you would have any problem with your boat up there.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Petty4life, I just picked up my first ever boat. It's an old 15' Trihull with a 35 horse motor. I want to try it at places like Porky but I have know idea how to use the boat for fishing yet. Were you trolling? Do you use down riggers on the smaller reservoirs or just places like the Gorge and Bear Lake? Without a down rigger, how do you get your line to go deeper in the water?
Any tips that you could share would be greatly appreciated.
I hope that I will be able to tag up with some BFT'ers on the water and see how it's done.
Thanks, DKS.
[signature]
we where trolling on downriggers and dipsey divers, even long lined for a bit.

id be glad to help you out dale. we could go fishing togeather your boat or mine
[signature]
There are various kinds of diving rigs that will get your lure down deeper. Obviously the riggers are the most direct way, but we've done pretty good on the little divers. I call them poor man's down riggers. I first used them on my pontoon, because mounting a rigger would be challenging, as well as a lot of extra weight! Once again, they are not perfect, but I doubt anything is perfect...except TubeDude...and they aren't a lot of money, so you can try them without spending a wad of cabbage. Good luck with your new boat, they are fun, but expensive little habits! Let me or Jason know if you have any other questions about the divers.
[signature]
You can also get down deeper using lead core line but that can cost a few bucks also. WH2
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, did I just get dissed...or was that a compliment? Makes my head hurt.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I tried mounting a downrigger, but the screws really messed up my "floatation". Now I just use a L-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-N-G-G-G piece of PVC with a clip on the end. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got a hernia the other day trying to maintain 3.5 mph (GPS) trolling speed on Willard. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
Purely complimentary sir Pat! I say to heck with using screws for mounting, use duct tape!

Ahhh, leaded line. Jason even used it yesterday and it slipped my mind. The mind is a terrible thing to waste!
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Looks like it was the perfect day for the Pig. Nice looking brown! How big were the Kokes you caught? Has the water cleared up? It looks pretty good in your photos. I'm sure with this cold front coming in it will change things for a few days.

[#ff0000]A few words of caution for those of you who have not been to Porcupine. [#000000]It is dirt road from the base of the dam to the top and all the way around the north side. This road is narrow (almost one lane). Once they start using the water from the res. the shoreline will be soft mud, this will include any launch areas. As already mentioned, the launch ramps are very primitive and you may not want to try it without 4 wheel drive. As the lake gets lower you may not even be able to launch a larger boat at all.
[/#000000][/#ff0000]
[signature]
I didn't know what you were talking about until I looked at the pictures, I've never heard it called The Pig. This is one of our families favorite fishing holes, I'm not much of a slime rocket fisherman but I do luv the Kokes. Looks like plenty of water. We usually fish this 4 or 5 times a year in the summer. Back in the 70's and 80's it was a nice place to camp until it became over run with the drinking and dope parties. I've seen some wierd crap happen up there. I didn't notice any Kokes in the picture, what size are they running this year? We ice fished it several times last winter but only caught a couple each trip up. GO ROUSH RACING![cool]
[signature]
kokes where 10-12in some smaller but nothing bigger.
[signature]
The pig is short for quill pig...or better known as a porcupine! Plus it can be a pig to fish sometimes. I've had good times and bad times up there. Still trying to figure it out. Oh well.
[signature]