Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's Lake 5/27/06
Had time to fish Henry's Lake from 9:10am until 1:20pm. For us the bite was similar to last years opener. The only thing different was the weather. It was windy with light rain/snow the entire time I was there. My hands haven't been that cold since I ice fished American Falls a few months ago.

There was a 16'-18'(?length) boat sunk about a hundred yards out from the State Park boat dock. I heard a few rumors and I don't know what the story really is. I heard everyone got out ok and the plug wasn't put in before it was launched??? The cold/wind/rain/snow thinned out the crowds. I would say the fishing pressure was only 1/4 of what it was on last years opener.

The surface temp was about 56 degrees by the cliffs, wild rose and the middle of the lake. It was 54 degrees at the State Park. The surface temp will probably be a little cooler by Monday morning. The only place that I saw the water off color was in the shallow water that had been mixed up by the wind/waves. The deeper water was not stained or muddy. We couldn't find the depth finder and didn't have batteries for the gps.[crazy] It is difficult trying to maintain on constant speed in a stiff wind and only rpms and feel of your lure to base your speed on. The depth finder wasn't a big deal because we already know what the lake bottom is like but it still would have been nice to have.

We were able to find fish in every part of the lake we tried (cliffs, wild rose and several spots in between). The 15"-19" made up 75%+ of our catch. We also caught a few nice ones, some 12"-14" fish and a couple small hybrids around 7".

Here's a link to the picture I posted last year. I would post it inline but it is too wide and I don't feel like resizing it.
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=12607"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...ent;postatt_id=12607[/url]
This picture shows me holding a crank bait with a broken split ring caused by large Henry's hybrid. I also had another fish break the split ring on the same model of lure last year but it didn't jump out of the water several times so I don't know how big it was. This year I put heavy split rings on the same lure. I didn't catch one as big as the one I lost last year but still caught a nice one on it. He jumped 3' out of the water a couple times after I hooked him which is always a nice bonus. I'll post some pictures when I get back from Lake Powell.

[red]I tried to fix some of the gramer/spelling errors. I was also only fished Henry's until 1:20 pm not 2:20pm.[/red]
[signature]
thanks for the report Brian, how did everybody else do up there on Saturday? I am thinking about going up there tommorrow, but a lot depends on how other people did. If nobody did too well, i will float Ora to vernon instead!
[signature]
All the reports that I have heard indicated that Saturday was the day to go. The fishing and the weather went down hill after Sat.

I went on Monday and fished from 6:30 until 11:30. I fished in my pontoon off of the Hatchery and the Hybrid hole. I tried both a type II and a type III line with every fly in the book. I only saw one person catch a fish and there were at least 15 tubes and pontoons in the area. I talked to a couple of guys who caught one each early in the morning.

My friend managed to land a really nice 24" hybrid. I was jealous[cool]. He was reaching for his cell phone with his line just slack in the water when wam he gets hit by a fish like that. Some guys have all the luck. Anyway it sounds like mixed results from Sat to Mon. Hope it is better for me next time, but I will keep going back for a chance at the really big fish.

Windriver
[signature]
Caught four Saturday and I was low stick in the group, by a long ways.
[signature]
The weather really put a damper on our fishing this weekend. After not getting to bed til 2 AM friday night the alarm at 5:30 was way too early. When I looked outside and saw sleet/snow coming down I really knew it was too early!!!!!!! I repeated the same procedure every hour for the next 3 hours with the same cold and white results. At 9 AM I comforted my sorrows with a nice hot breakfast of french toast, sausage, eggs, hash browns, and OJ (I'm thinking that wasn't too bad of a start after all!). To make a long story short we finally launched the boat on Henry's about 3 PM to moderate winds and waves. We headed to "A" frame bay and started trolling with spinners, and then with rapallas, and then with fly's........nothing!!! The wind died down a little to a nice breeze as the snow intensified so we decided to slow drift some flys with the wind. Just about that time the wind died all together! So we casted and stripped some fly's and still nothing. About the time my arm was getting tired the breeze freshened a bit and we were able to drift some flys. We came across an area in 13 feet of water where the bottom seemed weedless according to the fishfinder (that seemed rare...). No sooner had my purple showgirl got into that weedless zone and wham....fish on. After a nice battle I landed a nice 20 1/2 inch (4 3/4 pound) hybred and finally broke my several year HL skunk. Shortly after that the wind really picked up and it was getting dark so we headed off the lake. The rest of the weekend the weather remained crummy. I fished the outlet for about 2 hours monday with my kids (I helped them fish) and they caught two beautiful 17 cutts and that made their weekend. So it was a long way to drive to IP to sit most of the time in the cabin watching the rain/snow/sleet. Maybe August will be better!
[signature]
Glad to see that you got the skunk off. Good Report

Windriver
[signature]
Blissed-out
Welcome to the Idaho board and thanks for your report. Four is a good day even if you were low stick in the group. How many did your group catch all together? How big was the biggest? And did anyone catch any brookies? What techniques were you using (trolling, flyfishing, etc?) Glad to have you on the board!
[signature]
I'll post a few pictures from the Henry's opener later this week. For those interested I posted a detailed Lake Powell report on the Utah board. I'll also have pictures from Lake Powell posted later this week.

BigCat,
Good to see you ended you skunk at Henry's. It always nice to break a skunk with a nice fish too.

Blissed-out,

Welcome back

Windriver,
Thanks for the report.
[signature]
bdparse1333,

Welcome to BFT.
If you need any help registering your username, I'd be happy to help.
[signature]