Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flip Flop Sunrise
Showed up at flip flop At four thirtey am. Got two short halibut and twelve stingrays on frozen chovies. nothing on plastics Stoped fishing at around ten thirtey. Anybody else out there latley with any feedback? I saw one other tuber and a beached fisherman.
[signature]
Erik,

I was going to go to the FF Shack this morning but.... well, I didn't make it. I am going to Cherry Beach tomorrow morning. That shore fisherman you saw was Terry A. and he caught a 27" Halibut using live smelts.

Kiyo
www.baytubers.com
[signature]
I am having no luck getting live bait. Budget does not always allow to buy and catching them is out of the picture ( for me at least).
[signature]
Go to the Belmont Pier all the way to the end. To the right of the building where the water faucet is drop a sabiki jig with bread on the hooks and drop it about two feet below surface. Chum the water with bread (little pieces balled up to the size of a rice) You should get at least 20 smelts around 6-8" within 45 minutes. Very important to get there when the sun comes up. The bite is wide open then.

Kiyo
www.baytubers.com
[signature]
Will try this next saturday see what happens. How was cherry beach this morning?
[signature]
Cherry Beach this morning was very slow. I was using the live smelts from Big Fish and only caught two fish. A 5' Shovelnose Shark which I thought was a HUGE Halibut!!! But after about 15 minutes into the fight I knew it couldn't be a 'butt. Also a Sand Bass around 11".
My buddy Rich S. and his buddy went out past Island White for only a couple a Sand Bass and a couple of short Halibuts.

Some of the guys went to Alamitos Bay and caught a few Sand Bass and Halibuts with one being legal and released.

There was also a group that went over to Huntington Harbor for a couple of Spotties, Sand Bass, Yellowfin Croakers and a couple of Halibuts. One was caught at 25" and another was lost around the same size.

The hot spot of the week was at Doheny Beach in Dana Point! There must have been around 15 legals just over the weekend by floattubers and kayakers.

You shouldn't have any problems getting bait there. This Saturday the Baytubers are having a tournament and they will be down there getting their baits.

Kiyo
www.baytubers.com
[signature]