Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat Motor Question!
I took my little boat out to East Canyon with the family today. As we were picking up some thrust, it sounded and felt like the motor was slipping. Like the prop was slipping on the shaft. We looked it over and it looks all right. It there a transmission on an old 35 horse power Mercury 2 stroke? If so how can you stop it from slipping at higher RPM's? It works great at trolling spead.
[signature]
Check the drive gears and grease in the lower unit. Do this before you ever run it again!
[signature]
also, make sure your shifting linkage is o.k. sounds like you could be on the boarderline of "in gear"sometimes it needs to be adjusted to make sure that when you pop it forward, it is ALL THE WAY IN GEAR. good luck. laters
[signature]
Was the prop slipping on the shaft or slipping in the water?? try another prop also after you check your lower unit for problems. (Higher pitch on the prop)
[signature]
Your probably experiencing prop blow out. Re-adjust the height on the motor, re-prop, or lighten the load. I don't know about your particular motor but some have a hub inside the prop. When you spin one it will idle just fine but slip under a load.
[signature]
I'm with loomis on this one. If the prop is slipping, it's probably the hub. Swap props if you have a spare, or borrow a buddy's similar one to see if the problem goes away. If so, take your prop in for service.
[signature]
I think that you may have found the problem. The boat is rated for 5 people and we had all 5 in it plus some tackle and gear. The weight was at the max I'll bet.
I'm not sure what I would be looking for with the prop though. It is on a splined shaft, so how can it slip and what do they do to fix it?
Thanks, Dale.
[signature]
The hub that LL is talking about could be the rubber part inside your prop. It's probably more for the drivetrain protection when you hit an obstacle, designed to slip a little bit so as not blow the lower unit. You may have to take it to prop doctor.
[signature]
Thanks for all the help. I will have the prop looked at.
[signature]
I would run the boat at utah lake or willard just to make sure it wasnt the elevation and/or the heavy load causing the problem. If it runs fine then you just need a different prop.
[signature]
Clutch Dog or warn foward gears is my answer. Hopefully it will be something else simple.
Does it go full throttle in reverse?
[signature]
Same problem exactly! It is the hub inside the prop. My Evinrude did the exact same thing. They were $95 for a new prop and $85 for a new hub. Your's will probably be cheaper. Let us know what exactly it was. I say the hub.
[signature]
I didn't try full throttle in reverse. I am getting a prop from Intermountail Boat out by Smith and Edwards. I hope that it will fix the problem.
[signature]
Hopefully its the hub. If not.....well a new gear set would be a little expensive. A clutch dog (if its the warn part) isn't too expensive if you do it yourself, but lower unit's can be a bit tricky.
The prop hub's the easiest quick fix for sure. Cross your fingers and hope for the best.
Also, I don't recommend running it wide open in reverse, but.....if you don't have the problems in reverse your having running forward...well it would have been a way to rule things out.
[signature]