Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Question
Did any of you guys try my shrimp dropper rig at the Berry this weekend?
IFG
Never even heard of it?
[signature]
One more time, this is my not so serect rig. Many years ago I noticed when at the Berry I drilled my holes in shallow water lots of tiny freshwater shimp would come to the top. The fish I caught would some time spit them out on the ice, so after a little experimentation I came up with this. 18" under my normal jig (I don't use an attractor) I tie on a very small pink head jig with a very tiny piece of fresh shrimp. I have also used white jig heads and pink seems to work better. The heads I use are same ones I use for Kokes. About a #12 hook with just a little pink head, less that 1/64 jig head. The trick is to not straighten the hook, lots of finese, very little drag. This works anywhere shrimp is part of fish diets. However, it is the way to fish the Berry. Also. put a small piece an a black marabou jig at ice out and WHAM.

IFG

[laugh]
MARABOU?
Did I just read MARABOU?
My goodness,howmany times do I have to tell you.
LEAD,HOOK,MEAT.
[signature]
Marabou jigs have meat, lead and hook, just some furry stuff too. Hey, I still throw it from a spinning rod don't I. What are you partners in crime with Dan now? He keeps threatning to take me on the Green in his drift boat this spring. Rivers and Flyfishing, what did I do to deserve this?

IFG

YE SHALL BE CONVERTED.....

But if not can I go in your proxey?
[signature]
O.K. but I get 20% off everything I buy. Deal?

What? What? WHAT?
dang web Tv just went out on me I can't read a thing.
[signature]
Didn't try it , but it gave me a idea . Why not just tie up a pink scud and use it with a sweetner (tubedude rubbing off) . Maybe one with some flash or a bead head . Anybody ever try using fly fishing flies ice fishing ? Just a thought . I'm going to retire my ice fishing gear for this year and start fishing some open water . I hear the Weber calling . tight lines
[signature]
I've never heard of a Scud (except for the missile, but, I think shooting fish with missiles is illeagal), but, if it works I'll try it! Here is a picture of the average size Cutts we got at the Berry two weeks ago. (I'm silly for this picture posting thing now that I know how). Sure you want to fish the open water?

[Image: PIER2787CustomImage0087601.jpg]

IFG
[cool] Awwwright youse guys. I'll havya know that flies (with "sweetener" do work well...both beneath the ice and in open water. Since they have no weight (true flies that is) you need to fish them either above a jig, or "dropshot" style.

Pelican Lake is a great place to fish flies for fat bluegill. Use a small sinker on the bottom and two short droppers...the first about 8" up from the sinker and the second 12" - 18" above that. Any dark patterned trout fly will work, in sizes 12 through 6. Scuds and nymphs work well, as do clipped down dries that no longer float for trout. Tip them with a waxie and lower to the bottom. Just shivver it periodically. The big ones often mosey up and watch it for awhile before sucking it in. A small bobber or spring wire tip helps detect light takes. On some days they are more aggressive. I have had doubles that sorely taxed my 2# line, and have even had to go to using only one fly on a hot bite.

I have used a similar rig for drifting and bottom bouncing in Strawberry, especially when the bite was tough during the buffalo midge hatch. For trout, in open water, my first dropper is at least six inches long...at least 18" above the sinker. The second dropper may be three or four feet up the line. With or without sweetener, a steady drift across muddy flats (home of midge larvae) can sometimes be very productive. A small red fly on the bottom (San Juan Worm) is a good place to start, with a peacock nymph above.

Small streamers, in whites, silvers, chartreuse or black, can also be deadly on Deer Creek. Caught lots of perch, rainbows, browns and walleyes by fishing high-low dropshot flies...with a piece of worm or perch meat...both open and hard water.

In short. Flies are lures, when fished accordingly. The key is the use of weight to get the flies into fish zones, and to maintain touch with what is going on down there.

One other thought. If you have been having success with the use of a piece of shrimp, you might also try using a drop of shrimp oil on one of those little pink scuds. Works on salmon and other shrimp eating members of the family. It ain't always easy to find, but there are several internet sites where it can be found. I've used it a lot both in salt water and for catfish and other species in fresh water.

And, have you ever tried hot orange scuds...with a silver wire ribbing? Orange is a great attractor color. Never seen a hatch of 'em, but trout love 'em. And, don't forget chartreuse, with a clipped down palmer tied ginger hackle. They work both in streams and lakes.

That'll teach you to bring my name into such a discussion.
[signature]

You could also tie typical flies on jig heads.I have seen some luck with scuds,hares ears on 1/64 oz heads,through the ice.
[signature]
Yeah , I needed to loosen up my drag . those poor #10 hooks just not as strong as I would like them . I never miss a bite , I was holding my rod the whole time . I was using Berkley Fireline 15# with some Floro 8# line . Trying out BLM line set up . Thought I could just horse them in . One thing I learned is I only need to move my rod about 2 " and the hook is set . No more ripping the rod over my head LOL . I'm still learning . Just might see you at ice out , my favorite time .oh yeah what kind of shrimp ? Are you referring to the dead shrimp in the bag at some of the fishing stores or the kind you eat ?
[signature]
I buy the eating stuff at Albertsons when its on sale. I can usually get it for $3.99 a pound. 2 pounds lasts me all season. Make sure its fresh or frozen, the cooked stuff doesn't work as well.

IFG
I have used typical bead headed nymphs for quite some time while icefishing. I stumbled into it on accident when I ran out of tiny jigs on the Berry and that was all I had small enough. I have found a bead head prince nymph to be the most productive of all I have tried at the Berry.

tightline
[signature]