Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard
I couldn't stand it. I had sent my trolling motor off for repairs...but the withdrawls were too much for one man to stand. It was either lower my standards and go fish a river someplace...which I knew my idol's Maddie and Tommie find revolting and force them to begin to pray to the porcelain god and cast me out forever...or I'd have to take up serious drinking until the big brown van brought my salvation back.

So in sheer desperation, I coerced CBR (the Willard Bay Master) into a short PM trip to the bay.

Being an expert at boat handling I assumed I was adept enough and I could finesse the big motor into troll status. I was correct.

After an hour and fifteen minute normal drive turned into two plus hours because of the official Utah state flower (the orange cone flower) along the route which slowed the out of state tourists into rubber necking these endangered species, we finally got to launch at the south marina amid the hordes of ski boats and the other "official" park welcoming committee members (the ambiguous flying insects...(species unknown.)

CBR has the cutest little ritual that he does (which he says he learned from Maddie) when launching at Willard. It's called the "Swat and Curse."
Using his "hip hop" dance moves, it's quite a routine to watch as he dances around slathering on the "so called" sun screen and insect attractant.

But...on to the fishing part. By the time we got on the water the weather had turned cloudy with a slight hint of a breeze. We motored out slowly grafting for fish and trolling lipless crankbaits of assorted types and colors.

CBR scored the first walleye about 15-16 inches and spun around with a Big Grin for his photo session...only for us to realize I left the camera at home...being so depressed over my lack of trolling motor.

We continued slow trolling up and down the shore. We had lots of hook-ups, and it was just one of those days where the fish wouldn't stay buttoned. We did manage to boat four Walleyes, one of which was 21 1/2 inches and one 19 1/2 inch Wiper.

Around 10 PM the swarms of insects got the best of us so we headed for home. I got one picture after I got home of the Wiper and Walleye I had promised the wife for dinner.

[signature]
Quite the report sir Cliff! Sounds like you guys kept the skunk at bay. When do you expect to have your motor back?
[signature]
About 5 to 7 days or less I hope....
[signature]