Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D.M.A.D,????
[cool][#0000ff]We are going on an exploratory two day trip this next week. Had planned to hit Starvation and Pelican, but forwarded that to the next week.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This week we are going first to Pruess Lake (Garrison Reservoir), way over on the Nevada Border. Gonna check out the current population of Sacramento perch and any other denizens we can find in the lake. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On the way back I thought we might check out D.M.A.D or the lower Sevier. Might even make a run at the Painted Rocks end of Yuba. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My question is has anyone fished D.M.A.D. within the last year, and if so, whaz hapnin'? I know it has held all kinds of fish over the years and has provided good fishing at times. Last I heard it had mostly dried up during the drought and all there were left in the lake are a few carp. Any info to the contrary?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
We were there last year and the water wasnt low.There were orientals and some mexicans catching and keeping carp though.I have a friend at work that lives in delta and he has been trying to get me to fish there with him.I will ask him tomorow if he has been there recently.He has told me that he caught some nice size cats and white bass out of there.If i dont forgew tomorow i will ask him.
[signature]
The lake is near full and I have not fished it but according to the locals there are some cats and white bass with a lot of carp. I don't think the numbers would be very high but they did drain Yuba into it so there is no telling what might pull on your line [Wink]
[signature]
Let us know if you land any sacramento perch, work has kindly nominated me to go to baker nevada this summer every other week, i think for the inconvience i will take along my fishing pole and spend my break chacing them
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I'll be shooting pics and I'll post a full report.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
What the hell is D.M.A.D.? Nobody will give me an answer![Sad]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The simple explanation is that it is a small dammed reservoir on the Sevier River, just before you get to Delta. It is also known as the Delta Reservoir. Here is a copy and paste from a website I checked:[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
The DMAD Dam and Reservoir ([url "http://www.waterhistory.org/histories/delta1/#fig2"]Figure 2[/url]) was a cooperative project of the four local irrigation companies (Delta, Melville, Abraham, and Deseret Companies, and thus the name of DMAD). The Abraham and Deseret Companies own and operate the Gunnison Bend Reservoir downstream of DMAD ([url "http://www.waterhistory.org/histories/delta1/#fig1"]Figure 1[/url]) and have a first priority right to the first 9,300 acre-feet of winter flows below Sevier Bridge Reservoir.
[signature]
Thanks Pat.
[signature]
I talked to my freind at work and he says there is lots of water but he hasnt gone fishing there this year.So i will be waiting a DMAD report. [Tongue]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The game plan right now is to fish Yuba early morning and then head over to Delta. Will stay in Delta Thursday night, fishing DMAD afternoon and evening. That should give us some idea of what's in there and if they bite or not. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of the interesting things I read about DMAD is that is has been the only water in Utah to hold a population of WHITE crappies. The crappies in all other Utah waters are BLACK crappies. I have taken white crappies in several other states so I look forward to renewing old acquaintance.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We will be heading down to Pruess (Garrison) early Friday. We plan to launch in several spots to check the depth, bottom conditions and fish populations. I know there used to be lots of Sacramento perch, channel cats, bullheads, largies and (of course) carp. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am taking a full range of hardware, plastics and baits with which to tempt the finny denizens. If we are good...and lucky...we may just find some new fishin' holes worthy of an occasional long drive. Now, if we could only get the price of gas back down to around 50 cents a gallon...and then I woke up.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No like wind. Wind and float tube not get along. Postpone trip south until wind behave. Go to alternate plan B...whatever that be.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Good luck with wherever you decide plan B will take you. Mantua seems a little safer in wind, but you might want to finally take an anchor with you just in case...
[signature]
You won't get around here very often if you wait on the wind to behave. Let me know when you do eventually get here and we can check out the mighty tube or if you are brave I'll stick my boat in there and you can fish from a real boat or I can drag ya to the north end of the lake. [sly] There was an old concrete ramp but they tore it out during the drought and put gravel down. I'm pretty sure I can launch there. I can't help ya with the spots on DMAD cause I have never fished it but I can point ya to where the duck & goose poop is stacked up [Wink]

Speakin of Yuba - I was going out there monday evening but guess what - the wind pick up so I nixed it. Sunday I became $10 poorer when something big and toothy hit 2 of my rapalas trolling in the same spot. I got some steel leaders and wanted to get back ASAP but it will have to wait a few more days[Sad] Everyone is wondering if any big pike are around and after that I am convinced there is.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I can guarantee there are some big toothy critters in there. I got some two year olds last year and have heard of some over 10 pounds being caught since the drain. Also heard of a 20 pounder being taken from the river. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks for the offer of a guided tour on DMAD. I can handle breezes up to a point, but the way I fish from the tube it becomes too difficult for finesse fishing when the cows are blowing by me sideways. With the price of gas these days I don't really care to finance the oil companies by driving a long ways just to get wind blowed.[/#0000ff]
[signature]