Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aalaska bound,any advice?
Me and the Mrs are going to Alaska 1 July. We have arranged for 5 guided days of fishing. One day in Cook Inlet for Halibut,two days on the Kenai for Kings,one day on the upper Kenai for Dolly Vardin and Rainbows and one day out of Seward for Silvers. They tell us we will have one full day of free time and some free time each day in late afternoons. We have not been before and could likely benefit from advice from someone who has. We will be in the Gone Fishin Lodge in Solodotna and will have a car to travel elswhere. Will appreciate advice.
[signature]
Helly Hansen rubber-coated rain gear (bibs and jacket), bug dope with 100 percent DEET (Ben's 100 is best). I guided in Alaska for 7 years. Wouldn't leave home without either of these. You may get a week of sun, but more likely a week with lots of rain and drizzle. And the mosquitos enjoy both. You should have a great time, especially on the upper Kenai. Good luck!
[signature]
I was up there last summer,and caught a 60# and 35# King Salmon.Looks like you have a great schedule,one day of halibut is about all you will want.My advise is do not take any fishing tackle with you,( you can rent at the lodge tackle for fishing the river below the lodge)and try and just take carry on luggage.You will probably be bringing back two boxes of fish,if you have checked luggage they will charge you for the second box of fish,$50-75 depending on the airline.They have a store,I think its Target in Soldatna, with lots of cheap clothes.Also you will have complete laundry facilities at the lodge.Quite a few restaurants in Soldatna,I found a inexpensive one on the corner of Soldatna main drag and the road to Kenia,Kenia highway?I don't remember.I don't think the time of year you are going it should be cold.You should have a GREAT time.PM me if you have more questions.

MIKE
[signature]
[#505000]Shoot a PM to Rvanman2000. He lives up near the Kenei river. You can post on the Alaska board as he checks there too, he also checks in here from time to time as well.[/#505000]
[signature]
I've been to the Gone Fishin' Lodge a couple of times and had a great time. Excellent fishing during the salmon runs right off the dock at the Lodge. I had a nasty experience with a King Salmon there while fishing for running salmon off the dock. I was using a rod with 20 pound test line when I hooked into -- it was either a big King or a Killer Whale[Wink]-- and it really took me for a ride before I could break it off. I was lucky not to ruin my rod.

I also had another bad experience of the $$ kind when I scheduled a fishing trip for my family to coincide with my retirement. The goof-ball I had the misfortune of dealing with took my $5000 and immediately filed for bankruptcy leaving me with no money and no trip. I had to draw from my retirement savings to re-schedule my trip. The guys name was Tim Montroy and he managed to rip off a lot of people, including the owners of the Gone Fishing Lodge, for thousands of dollars. The owners of the Gone Fishin' Lodge are solid, honest, people who will do everything possible to give you a great trip. I hope to be back at the Lodge myself within the next year or two.

I would not be concerned about having all of your fishing gear with you when you go, unless you have a favorite rod you want to use. I found the fishing tackle to be less expensive in Soldatna than it was down here, especially when you factor in the air fare charges. The Lodge had a good supply of rods, rubber boots, and other gear that people had purchased and left at the Lodge rather than bring it back home.

You are in for a great trip. Don't miss a chance to try for Silver Salmon. They were the most acrobatic of all the salmon in my opinion.
[signature]
just enjoy and catch fish....................................
[signature]
Thanks Jim, I found some Bens 100 at Sportsmans Warehouse.
[signature]
100 percent deet works well, but contrary to popular belief, the percentage of deet does not make it work any better or worse. It lasts longer, but if you are in the rain it doesn't make too much difference. And chances are you will be rained on at least a couple days if not more. I have the 100 percent deet and 33 percent deet and they both work well. If the blood suckers are really bad, walmart has a mosquito net for the your head for 1.50 up here in Alaska. It works really well. The rain jacket is a very good idea. Be sure to bring some warm clothes, it might be july, but it is alaska. Let me know what kinds of things you would like to do and I might be able to help you find some things.
[signature]
I just returned from a fishing trip yesterday. Caught lots of fish, kings, silvers, pinks, one chum and a bunch of halibut. Never saw the sun. rained constantly. Most days the clouds were on the deck and they never went above a 1000 feet. It was still to cold for the skeeters (that was a good thing) 49 in the morning up to mid 50's by afternoon. Best moneyh I ever spent if you like catching big fish. Have fun.
[signature]
[Wink] Great advice from everyone. I will also tell you to try and pack as light as possible. On my last trip, We would wash clothes every other day or so. Mainly because we lived in a pair of breathable chest waders with a light fleece liner inside and stayed comfortable both in the rivers and on the boat.

The halibut boat gets wet due to the captain keeping things hosed down to keep the slime from the fish out and his boat clean. This water splashes around. The halibut even after being shot still thrash around and fling slime and water around.

We took all are gear for the trip in are carry on and then used are two bags that we could check as fish. It used to be 70 pounds per box. Now it is 50# . The airlines are usually pretty picky about making sure that it is right at 50#.

We also would find a young man at the skycap at the airport and grease his palm with 25 to 30 bucks and he would always get a third box of fish on.

We like to just use the freezer boxes for are fish that they have up there. Rather than take coolers up there for are fish. Take a roll of duck tape with you or buy one up there to tape your fish boxes closed. Sometimes the airline folks like to help themselves to a pack or two of fresh salmon or halibut for their dinner.

we also take a good pair of rubber neoprene gloves. you can by them at sportsmans. HElp you keep a good grip on your gear when it is wet. also a good grip on a fish. I have some called glacier gloves. dont forget the head net to. I like it when its colder up there like on of the other fellers said . keeps them pesky skeeters down. They can be nasty up there if the sun comes out and warms up a little.

The last time I was up, Some of the clothing that I took up was old and ready for the trash anyhow. They worked good for up there and then when I was done with them up there, I just chucked them and it gave me just a little bit more room.

If you need a new knife while your up there, Check out Eagle river knife co. A little pricey, But the best knife I have ever used. Go to there web site.

the main thing, take some great photos to enjoy your trip with Later. And have a great time!
[signature]
I don't know about other people, but when I am in Alaska I fish for about 20 hours a day. It is exhausting, but I'm usually only there for a little over a week, and the fishing is what I am there for. In the past I have gone out in the AM with a guide and then as soon as we get done with him, I head out on my own. There are lots of little rivers from Soldatna all the way down to Homer that could have some kind of run going on. The local paper in Soldatna usually has a fishing report and you can check out the status of each of these rivers and then go explore. Some of the rivers I have had luck on include the Kasilof, Ninilchu(i?)k, and the Anchor. I've never fished Deep Creek but heard it has some good later summer runs. Another good way to get some info on additional fishing ops is to hang out in some of the tackle shops and just listen (asking questions may or may not work as locals are sometimes tight lipped about these smaller less known rivers). Another thing I love doing in Alaska is eating out - the best salmon and halibut I have ever had was at an all you can eat barbeque place out by Seward. There is a lot of good food and you can get ideas of what to do with yours when you get it home.
[signature]
Thanks to all you guys who have responded. I am gathering a ton of good information. I'm sure there are also others who will benefit from it all. Keep it comin'.
[signature]
[Smile] hey i went to alaska in 1995 and we stayed at the lodge in Solodonta that is on the river right next to the highway bridge that crosses the Kenai river. we caught red salmon off of the bank at the lodge with some bucktail flies that we bought at a local tackle shop. we used a piece of pencil lead and a fly about 3 feet behind on 14lb. test monofilliment line. we went and fished the anchor river for silver salmon and caught a lot of silvers with Mepps Vibrax spinners fluorscent orange and green. they are the great big ones. have fun and if i can help you out anymore just PM me. trfishin
[signature]