Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anoying Popup Advertizements (Spam)
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]I sure don’t like the new little feature in the BFT posts where certain words link to annoying popup advertisements. Here are some reasons why I don’t like them:

Our posts, up until now, were completely representative of the writer … not tainted by advertisers or advertisements. I use to underline and color words to emphasize what I was trying to get across. Now advertisers help me with that.

Words like fishing, camping, fly rod, hunting, boat, fish, juice, boats, and angler now appear to be falsely emphasized sometimes.

I have a habit of reading along while pointing the mouse on the words I am reading. Now I have to drive around advertisement words so that I can avoid those very annoying popup bubble messages.

Yes, I know that registration is free (currently) and this board is in no way “ours”. Rather, it belongs to BigFishTackle and Co. And so if I don’t like it, I can move on or get use to it. I like BFT so much that I will just learn to drive around the little buggers and get use to it. After all, I did get used to things like the word “gay” meaning something very sick and having to wear a bug net at Willard sometimes. So I guess I can get use to getting spammed at least once in every thread.

I have a suggestion for the developer of this pain in the behind: Just list all the programmed link words on the bottom of the screen (not imbedded in the posts) where interested surfers could just go click away at them … leaving the rest of us to our “fishing”.
[/#002850][/size][/font]
[signature]
[Wink][Wink] I'll 2nd That
[signature]
You are not alone. People have been expressing their opinions on this all over BFT on different boards, and on the moderators board too.

theangler says to bear with for now, as it is currently just a test to see how it will work and if it will become permanent or be removed. Your input is appreciated.

Many share your views, and others seem to think it is fine. I tend to agree with you, and I think it slows the load time of the board as well. We'll see how it all pans out in a few days.

Kevin
[signature]
I've been trying to give it a chance but I agree with you Ralph. I also use my mouse pointer to keep track of where I'm at in case I become distracted. Just because these ads pop up does not mean I'm going to look at them especially when I'm trying to read a post, I'm more likely to see an ad or banner and click on it when one of them says something I'm interested in. Just my 2 cents worth.
[signature]
It does slow the load time down, that was one point I didnt bring up but it seems to be getting more and more considerable.
[signature]