Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buckboard Derby
Good Morning All,
Just wanted to remind everyone that the Buckboard Derby is happening this weekend. It is not filled up and there is plenty of room for more teams. The fishing is great on the Wyoming end, heard of some 4.7 lb Kokes and I caught a 4.o lb rainbow this past weekend. Come join us, it is a blast.

JohnnyBrownTrout
[signature]
Thanks JBT, is there a web site where I can get some more info? WH2
[signature]
Hi Curt,
I thought there might be something on either Buckboard's web site, or the other sponser is The Radio Network from Green River, but neither had any information up. Buckboard's phone is 307-875-6927 and you should speak either to Loretta or Chris. I could answer some of your questions maybe....just let me know what I can help you with.
[signature]
JohnnyBrownTrout, I will be fishing the Derby. Glad the fishing is picking up. Petty4life gave me some BFT stickers for the Villa Derby & I still have lots. I'll have my BFT shirt on & fishing from a Trophy boat. I'd like to meet some BFT members, come say hi. Travis

[url "http://photoshow.comcast.net/account/myshows"]http://photoshow.comcast.net/account/myshows[/url]

[inline invite.JPG]

[inline rules1.JPG]

[inline rules2.JPG]

[inline form.JPG]
Good Morning Travis,
I will look for you during the tournament. I fish out of a SeaSwirl Striper 205 with a Honda 10 horse on the back....Good Luck.

JBT
[signature]
You guys should be ashamed killing those big Macks. Go fish for Rainbows at Kaysville pond and have a derby. Just my 2 cents.

IFG
I second that IFG. What's a 30-year-old trout worth? A heckuva lot more than what they're paying out! Amazing what people will do for a few hundred bucks and their ego. Lakers should not be eligle in any tournament. Catch and kill the others if you need to, they only live a few years anyway.
[signature]
Hey guys,
Guess what, I don't fish for Lake Trout in the Derby. I agree with most everything your saying. I fish total pounds which is made up of mostly rainbow trout with an occasional brown trout thrown in. Rainbows are stocked in Flaming Gorge as a put and take species and I never kill more than my limit ....go figure....I have caught and released thousands of pounds of Lake Trout out of Flaming Gorge since 1982.....Go pick on somebody else folks,,,I enjoy fish the tournaments rather I win anything or not....

JBT
[signature]
The derbies are not responsible for damaging the Lake Trout population, all those people would be fishing regardless. Jim, Aren't you the one teaching people to catch the lake trout ? Just because you catch & release doesn't mean they will. Travis
money talk's and bs walk's aint that how it goes. it is all about money no one care's how old the fish are all thay see is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I would kill one for some cash. how many fish a yr do you think get killed just too go on a wall. few extra $would sure help my family out..... maybe I can luck out and wack one then work on the bow's and koke's see ya saturday. oh ya only a 175team's as of this morn . oh ya there are a lot of thing's that happen at the gorge that shouldnt what do ya do cry dont think it will help. and by the way it has jack to do about our ego's it's about the comratery and just hangin with a few pal's dont even care if I catch a fish just love too be on the water with good people[angelic]fishley
[signature]
[black][size 1]Mostly it's the macks killing the macks. The game and fish protected the macks for years with the slot limit. They (the macks) are eating themselves out of house and home why do you think they raised the limit on macks? The chubs are gone, the rainbows and kokanee are the staple now, no one keeps any macks, why do you think every report on the Gorge says "hey keep the small macks, they are great to eat!" right.[/size][/black]
[size 1]It's the Browns that need protecting, they only started planting them again a few years back, and people are already harvesting them again, all the big ones are the stocking from a few years back. The browns were the original draw to the Gorge, but seems that no one remembers that. And now I hear that because of some rocket scientist, walleye are turning up in game and fish gill nets! Let alone the Ling Cod![/size]
[size 1]You want to hear squeeling, take a limit of bass to the cleaning station and let some bass fishermen see you do it. YOU KEEP BASS? You aught to do some snorkeling down at the Gorge and see just how many bass are in there. If you want a bunch of stunted fish, you aught to only practice catch and release on all species![/size]
[size 1]Just my thoughts, slam away. LBD[/size]
[signature]
Jim,spoken like a true guide.It's only natural that you would feel this way.If people let all the big macks go that they catch,then in turn it just helps your clients to catch a big fish. Clients that pay big money just to fish with you.Personally I think that your opinion is biased,as its your bussiness to put clients on to big fish.If someone catches a monster mack and keeps it more power to them ,as long as they do it legally.

I have to ask this question ,do you make all your clients release the big fish that they catch? Is it your policy to release all fish ?What if a client caught a monster mack and decides to keep it,do you take him to shore if he was to refuse?

I have nothing against fishing derbies,as long as its done professionaly and legally.
[signature]
Kokeking: This isn't a legal issue, its a common sense one.

I AM biased, but its not about the money, its about 20-40 year-old fish. Once one is dead, it takes another 20-40 years to replace it. I've guided all over North America, and if every lake trout was gone from here tomorrow, I can still guide anywhere I want. If people let the big ones go, yes, there would be more for me and my customers to catch. But, there would also be more for EVERYONE ELSE to catch too! And there's a lot more "everyone else" than there is me and a few customers. A LOT MORE. Heck, there'd probably be enough so that nobody needed to hire me to catch 'em!!! Wouldn't that be the best thing? People hire me because they can't catch them on their own. That's the only reason. Is sure isn't my charming personality that they pay big bucks for. I'm pretty rough on most of my customers, and they're waiting in line and begging for more abuse.[sly]

And no, I never have and never will allow a fish over 28 inches to be intentionally killed on my boat. For one, there's no good reason to kill one. They don't taste good, you don't have to kill one to have it mounted, and they're just too old. For two, there's no price you can put on a big old fish. It's not worth a few hundred bucks to kill a monster. And what about a so-called record? Those, in my opinion, are stupid. Who cares about a silly record? That's just an ego thing. In fact, I have personally weighed two fish from the Gorge that were 54 and 55 pounds, both of which were released by the anglers who caught them. They didn't care about anything except those fish swimming away to be caught again. I know another reputable angler up here who says he has caught one larger than that, but didn't kill it. He has no reason to make it up, and would shoot me if I mentioned his name. Yet, the so-called lake record still claims to be 51 pounds? I call it the "dead record." What does it really matter anyway? If you want to keep score, try baseball or golf. Fishing is about the enjoyment of fishing, not records.

In the thousands of trips I've guided here and everywhere else I've guided (25 years), I've never had a customer request to kill a trophy fish, so I don't know what I'd do. Actually, I do. It would "accidentally" slip out of my hands and get away. "Gee, I'm sorry."
I inform every prospective customer before hand about my view on catch-and-release. Most compliment me for it time and again. Those few that don't never book a trip. Perfect.

I have no problem with tournament fishing. I have no problem with killing renewable fish for eating or whatever other purpose you have in mind, like rainbows and other trout that can only live a few years, or kokanee that live for only 4 years, or bass that reproduce in here like rabbits, or even small lake trout, for which there is an abundance. Heck, my customers probably took out 100 or more little lakers on my boat just last year alone, to eat. I took guys out several times and brought in 18 fish limits (for e fishermen), deader than hell and filletted at the cleaning station. Thats ok, there are plenty more where that came from. 20 and 30 and 40 pounders? There aren't that many that make it to that size, and it takes decades. They're treasures, just like 10-lb bass, 10-lb. rainbows, 20 lb. pike, 30 lb. muskies, giant tarpon, billfish, and a host of other species of fish across the globe that shouldn't be needlessly harvested. Some are fine to kill and eat, and some even need to be kept in check. Others need to be released. Large lake trout in Flaming Gorge are one of those, whether I ever guide here again or not. They're everyone's fish, and I'm just one boat on this big pond full of people trying to catch that one giant laker. If all the 20 and 30 pounders killed over the years had been released, nobody would blingk an eye these days at a 40 pounder. Why don't we have more 40's and 50's? Because people kill them when they're 20 and 30. And theres plenty of food in here for them to eat. Not just the kokes and rainbows, but I catch lake trout all the time with smaller lake trout in their throats. That like of they're eating themselves out of house and home is bunk. Just look at some of the pictures on my website. I don't see any that are starving. If they were, they'd be hitting our jigs and lures much more aggressively.

We need to protect them so everyone has a shot at catching them, and then releases them for the next guy, and the next guy, and so on . . .

Keep fish when it makes sense, and don't when it doesn't. Killing a 30 year old trout for a derby and a few hundred bucks doesn't make sense. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

And by the way, if these derbies are so "professionally" run, why aren't they catch and release, like they do in the rest of the country for bass, walleye, sailfish, marlin, redfish, etc etc.??? An observer in each boat, weigh 'em, measure 'em, and send 'em on their way. And big corporate sponsors would jump all over it, increasing prize money and tackle give-aways dramatically. Catch and kill tournaments were "out" a long time ago. That's why they call it a "derby" instead of a "tournament."

Whew!!! And I was just getting warmed up!

Have fun out there Kokeking, keep what you need, and save some for the next guy. That's what it's all about!!!
[signature]
Well said Jim, and add large sturgeon to your list, I'm quite sure that they live far longer than any fish you listed.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Well said. I hereby give up my crown as the wordiest BFTer.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It takes more than one post to take away your crown.[Wink]
[signature]
[black][size 1]"I have no problem with [black]killing[/black] renewable fish for eating or whatever other purpose you have in mind, like rainbows and other trout that can only live a few years"[/size][/black]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Your own words... So you are saying that the (dead) 1977 33 lb 10 oz Brown, and the (dead) 1979 26 lb 2oz Rainbow, only lived a few years to get this big, and neither species need protecting whatsoever, because they are renewable? [black]How silly is that?[/black][/size]
[size 1]Now, before you start slamming me, just think about one thing. The fish that you are talking about being (and charge $350.00 a person because you are the only one who knows how to catch) such a frail slow growing treasure, were never even planted in the Gorge. Ever. They found their own way there. Now that is a weak species that need protecting! Right! Maybe before you start sticking to your stories, you should do a little research![/size]
[signature]
its a good thing that jim makes his clients let those fish go, he catches more than a small army on that lake. if he ever decides to let everyone keep those trophy fish it will eliminate what small chance i actually have of catching one on my own- and when i do, its swimming away too.
[signature]
O.K. I'l jump back in on this. I have also been a pro Captain/mate since I was 14 years old. That was exactly 19 years ago. I hold a MUFV (6 pack license) and have since 1982. I've done this up and down the east coast to include Lake Erie and I've seen the damage done. I watched the Cod stocks deplete off the Grand Banks and no-one said boo. I watched the Red Snapper stocks go to almost nothing off the Gulf Coast in the late 80's and again no-one said boo. I watched the big Black Grouper stocks (Copper Bellies) almost die out completely on the Gulf Coast and again, no-one said boo.
Am I a biologist...no. My degree is in management. But as a consumer of a resource I know there is a limited amount. Without getting into serious economic theory the bottom line is; if you kill the resource, it stops being a resource. How freaking hard to understand is that?
There is maybe 1000 Macks over 30 pounds in the whole lake. If we each keep one, times the entire amount all of us fish, it won't be long until the fish are gone. See where I'm going with this. Basic math kids...work with me here.
I don't want to come off anti-tourament but do it on a put and take fishery like Willard, Echo or Rockport, ect.
I also don't want to elimante Mack fishing. It's fun, we get to catch big fish and have fun doing it. Do some die when we catch them...sure. But, they stand a much better chance released into the lake then they do on the cleaning station.
Again, just my 2 cents.

IFG
[black][size 1]Gosh but you lake trout fishermen are small minded! [crazy][/size][/black]
[size 1]Did I say one word about keeping a stinking lake trout? Why would I? Are they good to eat? ummm not really. Is it the species of fish I have been targeting since I started fishing the Gorge since the early 70's? ummm no. But do I care more about the other species in the lake, why yes I do. [/size]
[signature]