Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chumming: Is it legal in MN waters?
I asked this question recently and here's the answer I received from the DNR.

------------------------
Thank you for your question about the legality of chumming in Minnesota. This is a hard one to answer, because we have no law that specifically uses the term "chumming." Instead, we have a variety of laws that have application to this activity.

Based on Minnesota Statues 609.68 it is unlawful to deposit animal parts or the body of dead animals in a public water. So chumming with animal parts or whole bodies would be illegal.

Based on Minnesota Statutes 97C.325, it is illegal to take fish using chemicals, drugs, medicated baits, etc. Also under Minnesota Statutes 97C.341, it is illegal to use game fish, goldfish, or carp for bait. This would mean that any fish food, corn, or other similar substance with these items in it could not be used for chumming.

Based on Minnesota Statutes 97C.065 it is illegal to let any substance enter or be disposed of in state waters in quantities that injure wild animals. So what is a quantity of corn, fish food, or other similar substances that would be illegal? My answer is that it depends on the type of water body, current water quality, weather conditions, health of the fish, cumulative effects, etc. So, I can't tell you that a bucket of corn is ok, when under the right conditions it could cause a fish kill. Instead, it is an area of the law that we are considering clarifying as it relates to chumming.
[signature]