Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard june 10-11
Was going to go to the airshow saturday but the traffic was horrible so we skipped it.Headed out to willard and set up camp and then launched of the south marina about 5pm.We fished till 830 and ended up with 3 wipers bruce gettting the biggest at 21 inches and that made sam mad hers was 20inches.I ended up with a 18 incher and lisa caught a walleye 16 inches and sam caught a channel that hit a producer.I didnt know they came up that high in the water to hit a lure.Sunday we launched at 830 am and got 4 wipers ans sam redeemed herself as a better fisher than bruce because he bragged about his fish all night long!!!!!![Tongue] She caught a 22 incher and lisa finally caught her first wiper ever a 21 incher.now she knows why i drive so far to catch them.[Wink] Bruce caught a 19 incher and i ended up with another 18 incher.That was enough fish for a fish fry on monday.So we just played a little on the water till the wind came up and we left.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good report and pics. Looks like it was worth it to miss the air show.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About that catfish. They are "sight feeders" when the water is clear. I have caught them on topwater, in 60 feet of water, when they were up chasing shad with largemouths. Last Friday I caught one on a minnow 6 feet below a bobber (on Willard) in over 20 feet of water. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There have been a lot of wiper trollers who have been surprised to find a fish with whiskers on their trolled lures.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Great report and photos.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I had to laugh though when you mentioned that you had intended to go to the air show. Obviously you had a multi-purpose trip planned. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Otherwise, I would have to ask if you often bring your boat to air shows. Or were you planning on watching the air show from your boat ? [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]In any case, great idea to bring along the alternative plan of fishing. Although, I also enjoy other activities as well, fishing often seems to float to the top of the list of choices.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I agree, wipers are definitely worth the drive. As TubeDude wrote, catfish feed throughout the water column and are often taken in places other than on the bottom. They are always a pleasant surprise - I have caught them many times on surface dry flies while fishing for top water sipping panfish and on floating lures meant for bass or other fish.[/size][/black]
[signature]
I told you there would be alot of people at the air show, although not as many as they had predicted. I think the Sunday paper said 102,000 on Sat. and last nights news said Sundays crowd was about the same. That is why the wife and I got out of town and went to Porcupine on Sat. and stayed home and watched The Nascar race on Sunday. Looks Like the Family had a great time At willard both days, I'm always glad to see the kids catch fish.[Smile]
[signature]
great report and pictures ocean, looks like you had a great time.
[signature]
Wow you werent kidding about a lot of people![shocked] Anyway we were spending the night at willard so we fished in the evening and got our fire pit going and roasted some mellows and hot dogs.The kids had a ball with the catching and roasting.But we did see the planes off and on and my son was exited about that.Next time when and if they come back i will be better prepared for it.Thanks for your advice.
[signature]