Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uintas vs. Wind River Range
My brothers, a couple of friends and I are planning our annual backpacking/flyfishing trip in August. We ususally hike in about 7-10 miles and we have always gone to the Uintas. I have heard a lot about the Wind River Range in Wyoming and have done some research, but want to know what your opinions are on the two areas. I'm sure a few fellow fisherman here have experienced both. So here are my questions:

1- Is it worth traveling the extra miles (thinking gas costs here) to go to the Winds?

2- Is the quality of fishing better in the Winds?

3- Any differences in terrain?

4- Any preferences between the reservation side verses the public side of the Winds?

If you can think of any other information that might be helpful, I'd appreciate you sharing. Our goal is to catch a few fish and see alot of quality scenery.

Thanks for your responses!!!

Cdragon
[signature]
1. Yes - The winds have a look all of there own. If you've never experienced it, it is well worth the drive.

2- Yes - Generally it holds bigger fish, they can be tough to catch in some places and fairly easy in other lakes. I've caught big cutts, brookies, and lake trout out of there. I also caught hundreds of small brook and cutthroat trout as well.

3- Yes, if you like granite, the winds are the place. Hiking off trail can be exhausting and dangerous without good maps and a compass. If it looks steep on a map, it is most likely near impossible to hike with a backpack.

4- Never been on the reservation side.

If you're after a few big fish and unmatched scenery, the winds are spectacular. Don't forget about the wyoming fish licenses in your budget. Just be aware, you will not be able to backpack in Utah again without thinking and longing for the winds. We did the boulders last year and all I heard was how everyone wished they were in the winds.
[signature]
B2F.... I have checked the non-resident license fees and it looks like it would be $11 per day per person. We would be fishing for 4 out of the 5 days and from what I understand, we would not need to buy the conservation stamp (I think that is what it was called) with the daily licenses. We'd like to keep the costs down, but I have heard so much about the Winds that its probably worth the extra costs involved. That is if the damn gas prices don't go through the ceiling!!! [mad]

Anyway, thanks for the info! Anyone else that would like to chime in.... feel free.
[signature]
Please carry a gun to protect yourself. We don't need another "wolf attack" on the off topic board. Have fun too. I wish i could do a backpack trip somewhere. Job and family prevent it right now.
[signature]
I have done the Wind Rivers three times and the Uinta's dozens of times, more because of distance and the people (teen-age) I take with me than anything else. The Winds are virtually unmatched in scenery and sheer ruggedness. I did 60 miles or so there one week, probably the toughest 60 I ever did. I found fishing in both places to be nearly equal - alot of lakes hold a ton of small fish, and a few lakes (usually off-trail) hold some big fish. The Winds have far more water, and river crossings are much more questionable. One thing I have found - I make it a point to go off trail and/or very high in the Uintas as much as possible, and have had many weeklong trips where we didn't see anyone else until we got to within two miles of the trailhead on the last day. I found the Winds to have alot more people around even a long ways in. I've always gone Pinedale side, so maybe it's just the area, but I've been 25 miles in (on a climbing trip-not fishing) and shared a small unamed lake with two other groups, which I have never done in the Uintas, you go a long ways in or off-trail and you are alone. If you haven't been up there, go at least once. It is some amazing country.
[signature]
Thanks for all your responses!

From what I understand, the Big Sandy Trailhead is one of the most popular trails due to being the access point for the Cirque of the Towers. This is the trailhead that we have talked about taking, but I'm open to suggestions. What other trailheads have you used? If we decide to go to the Winds, we'd really like to get into some Golden trout

Cdragon1
[signature]
[font "Arial"][red][size 3]Windies rock period!!! I have been on 3 pack trips up there and would not pass the opportunity to go again. I have been South Windies (Green River lakes region once) and twice out of Big Sandy trail head. I have personally have to say my Big Sandy experience has been the best. The first place I went to was Donald Lake. It had a ton of fish in it and average size blew the ave. unita size out of the water. Scenery was nice but not like my next trip. [/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial"][red][size 3][/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial"][red][size 3]My next trip was into the Cirque of the Towers, and any one who has crested over jackass pass knows what I am talking about! This is an area of the Windies that the continental divide comes through and basically makes a big loop, leaving a bowl surrounded by giant granite spears, and peaks. I believe the lake at the bottom is called Lonesome lake, and I caught some nice cutthroat out of it. This trip is high on my return to list! [/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial"][red][size 3][/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial"][red][size 3]The Uintas are an older mountain range than the Windies. (geologically) like anything in time, it deteriorates. While the Uintas is an amazingly beautiful place, the Wind Rivers hold some value that the Uintas cant touch! [/size][/red][/font]

[url "http://www.visitsublettecounty.com/destinations/cirqueofthetowers.htm"]http://www.visitsublettecounty.com/destinations/cirqueofthetowers.htm[/url]

[font "Arial"][red][size 3]If you google cirque of the towers you will get a ton of information![/size][/red][/font]
[signature]
I agree with polo; the windies are an awesome place. I have only dont the cirque hike from the big sandy th. It was a long day and jack ass pass is just that... Only a jackass would think of doing the hike up it however a jackass would not enjoy the view, take a nice long break there. Crawling through the boulders and crags of arrow head lake is an unbelievable experience. So is hearing the rocks fall from the cirque while you are camped at the bottom of it. "nameless" lake is an awesome fishing hole that is hard to find and a difficult hike but worth it; pm me if you decide to go there and i will give you details... Eat a burger on your way up in Big Piney, you will know the place when you see it. Also, camp the night in the big Sandy parking lot and head on the trail early to avoid alot of the bugs on the first part of the hike.

Beware of bears and the pika critters. You have to seriously take extra care of camp to survive there.
[signature]
You can get a great idea of the rough terrain of the Winds compared to the Uintas by using Google Earth and tilting the viewing angle. Lonesome Lake is at 42° 12' 39.62" N , 109° 12' 55.10" W. Just paste this

42 46 39.62 N, 109 12 55.1 W

into the Google Earth search field, click on the search button, and it will fly you straight to it.
[signature]
Dragon,

I've spend many hours and many miles in the backcountry of both the Winds and the Uintas. What I have learned about the different ranges and the respective fishing is this:

Uintas [ol] [li]Fewer people[/li] [li]Easy hiking[/li] [li]Nearly impossible to get lost[/li] [li]Many smaller fish that are easy to catch (renegades, mosquitoes, adams, hares' ears very productive in the Uintas)[/li] [li]Fewer varieties of fish[/li] [li]Fewer lakes[/li] [li]Proximity makes them good for short weekend trips[/li][/ol]

Winds [ol] [li]Lots of people[/li] [li]Strenuous hiking[/li] [li]Very easy to get lost...I speak from experience[/li] [li]Fewer fish but average size is larger than that of the Uintas[/li] [li]Relatively warm water because the water travels for miles on sunwarmed granite slabs. Daily swim is refreshing[/li] [li]Fish in the Winds are educated. What works in the Uintas doesn't work as well in the Winds (tube jigs, spoons, hoppers, streamers, rapalas are Wind river lures)[/li][/ol]
If travel time were not an issue I would spend more time in the Winds than in the Uintas. My recommendation to you would be to go to the Winds. You won't regret it.

the scienceangler
[signature]
Great information everyone!!!

Hey Scienceangler,

Just curious about the trailheads that you have taken? Would you recommend the Big Sandy trailhead or another one?
[signature]
I sent you a PM with some good info.

Later, scienceangler
[signature]
I am hiking into the Winds in about a month for the first time. I feel as though I have already been there because I have done so much reading about it in books and on the web.

I would suggest the backpacker.com forums for info on them. There are lots of people on there that go all the time and can give current reports. Just look under the Rocky Mountain section.

I am going to be hiking in from the Pinedale side. We will hike from the Elkhart Trailhead. I hope to post some nice pics.
[signature]
I will be going Aug 11-20 from the Elkhart Trailhead for the first time. Total mileage should be 100+ miles.

BigBen1, if you wouldn't mind giving me a general report when you get back I would appreciate. PM if you want and maybe we could provide each other with some good info.
[signature]
Scienceangler, I sent you a PM. Thanks for the info!

Bigben...... we'll expect a report when you get back. I'm jealous.... I wish I was going sooner. But we'll probably go about the middle of August.

Kirklan.... maybe we'll see you on the trail.

Laters,
Cdragon1
[signature]