Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Going Home
2 weeks and I am on my way home, getting way excited. I read that they are raising the flows on the SF. So I hope that the river will be down when we get there. Have a guided trip on the 1 Jul ( 1st time been down with a guide) hoping we will get all the skinny from him. I havn't read anything on the salmonflies yet, so I will hope that someone can give me a report on there march up the river. BSflies gave a promising report on the H, so I may have to give it a try. I love ID and can't wait 2 weeks whaooo!!!!
[signature]
Glad to hear your getting closer to our part of heaven! River is up, but, the float should be great about that time. Bring the bugs!
[signature]
Should be a good time to float the South Fork. I would guess you will be floating it at the tail end of the Salmon Fly hatch. The flows out of PaliSades have been increasing the last few days. I would guess the flows will be more favorable in a couple weeks. I'll probably float the South Fork once or twice during the next few weeks.

If you ask, your guide should provide all of the current information about hatches and anything else you would like to know about the South Fork.

There are websites that show current flows on the South Fork.
Here's a link to one that shows the Heise gage.
[url "http://www.usbr.gov/pn-bin/graphrt.pl?heii_q"]http://www.usbr.gov/pn-bin/graphrt.pl?heii_q[/url]
[signature]
Salmon fly hatch is about over. We had a great time with them two weeks ago at the Stone Bridge area. Harriman just opened yesterday and there were a lot of small fish being caught with a few large ones mixed in with them. There was a good hatch going on. I stopped and took a picture of the shoulder to shoulder fishermen there.

The Box Canyon should have the stones this week.

Bill
[signature]
Just read report of the salmonfly hatch getting started on the South Fork. That is great news hope they hold out for me be there netx weekend. Starting to get way excited.
[signature]
I've never fished the South Fork. Most people I've talked to say it gets worked to a froth by all the fishermen. Can you float it and get away from the crowd or is there a crowd floating? Is it floatable in a 14' aluminum boat or do you need a river boat? 15 Hp power with electrics fore and aft.
[signature]
Floating the river won't get you away from the crowds. It is a popular river for guides and unguided fishermen to float. It gets worked over pretty good by all of the fishermen but there are also a lot of fish in that river.
I've rowed aluminum john boats down the South Fork but drift boats are considerably less work to row. The South Fork can be navigated by motor. The current is fairly fast so you won't be traveling upstream very fast with a 15 HP motor.
Make sure you give the river plenty of respect because it is more dangerous than most people give it credit for. Many boats are flipped on the South Fork.
[signature]
I've floated plenty of rivers in my day so I do a fair job of reading the water. I could put my 30hp on the boat, that's what it's rated for, I was worried about the weight. Still don't know if I want to maneuver through the crowds.
[signature]
The river does tend to get crowded especially this time of year the salmonfly hatch is world famous. I have floated it quite a few times and it is really not the boats that are to bad (mainly drift boats) the main problem if your not first every place to stop and fish will have someone there. Accesses throught the canyon is mainly by boat so if you want to fish through there you will need a boat. The crowds are worth the trip cause the scenery is to die for. Dang I love ID.
[signature]
Leaving tomorrow evening be at Heise Friday afternoon guide trip from Byington on Saturday salmonflies emerging life is about to get good the excitment is killing me. Here fishy fishy fishy I am coming to get get you but of course I will put you back for another day. If anyone is around the Heise RV park come on in say hi have a cocktail. Dark blue F250 with 30ft 5th wheel.
[signature]
Have a fun trip.
[signature]