Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard bay question
Just wondering if any of you could answer a question for me about something I saw yesterday. While out on the lake on patrol, I cam to an area that the seagulls were just falling out of the sky into the water after something. I couldn't see what they were diving for or getting but there had to be at least 50. Now I have heard that the wipers will push the shad to the top and feed and I would bet that the birds would join in and get a meal. Could this have been what I saw?

I was just curious. I only been out there dor 2 months now and I just want to see what everyone is talking about with these boils.

Jeff
[signature]
[black][size 3]Yes utahsteelheader,[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]That is typically the scenario with the Gulls on Willard Bay. When they are diving on the water, that means the shad are being herded to the surface by the Wipers. It's called an indication of a Wiper boil.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]A good technique is to sneak up quietly to that area and cast lures for the Bass. Use surface presentations or shallow running lures.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Did you see any surface activity, such as splashes that may have indicated that wipers were also hitting the surface? I've seen where birds will hit the water but no fish. In my opinion, I think the terns, smaller than gulls with a black head and always flying, are better indicators of shad than the gulls. Terns, who prefer feeding on fish to insects, are continually hunting shad and will fold their wings and actually dive on their prey.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Another tactic to try if you cast into these areas and you can't hooked up is to troll shallow through the area at a pretty good clip with boards. If the wipers are shallow, they'll hit a fast trolled grub or similar plastic on a light jig-head plus trolling will let you cover more ground. Lay your lines out short so that you can make some fairly aggressive turns without tangling up and cruise through the area. [/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]This tactic works great too when you see surface activity but can't get to it before it goes down, coming up in another area. This can be frustrating to get on but trolling through the area repeatedly can sometimes change your luck.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I didn't see any splashes on the suface. All I saw which seemed odd was the seagulls literally falling out of the sky into the water after something. Some of these birds fell so hard they went completely under water for a second. It just seemed strange and I just wondered if maybe this was a start to when they boil. Thanks for the info though and I'll keep my eyes out for these boils, just want to see what all the fuss is about. The other bad part or I would have known for sure was that I was working and not fishing. This is sort of a down fall to my job.

Jeff
[signature]
[reply]
The other bad part or I would have known for sure was that I was working and not fishing. This is sort of a down fall to my job. [/reply]
Thats a bummer you can't work and fish at the same time! I've been up chasing steelhead on the salmon rivder and after bringing in a good keeper the guy fishing next to us came over, he turned out to be id fish and game, just working plain clothes, getting his fishing time in, and trying to catch people taking natives. I wonder if you could pull that off you could catch more of the wakeboarders cutting in close to the fishermen![Wink]
[signature]
I agree with BLM,I am guessing you seen these gulls over by the feed lot,they are always over there and the come over the dike and clean themselfs after eating whatever they eat,?
The birds to look for are the terns,and the surface splashing,if you see that it is a biol,I have not seen one this year yet,I am hoping it will happen this year its fun and we have had four rods hook up casting into them,its preety cool when it happens.
later,fnf[cool]
[signature]
Yes, the terns are the key. Saw them diving a couple of times last year, trolled over to them and hooked up. I don't pay much attention to the gulls. Those terns really dive in.
[signature]
Single main, no kicker. Wink
I am jealous that you have been up chasing steelhead. to me there is no a better fish to go after. I am actually going back to my home state of Michigan the end of September to fish for Salmon and Steelhead. I love catching them on a fly rod. There is no better fight around than either one of them on a fly rod. I also go back the end of March and first of April to fish for Steelhead. The only problem this year is that my DAD, #1 fishermen in my book, won't be there physically to assist. He'll be there in spirit thou. He passed away last October so my brother and I will have to do it alone. He got me into fishing for Salmon and Steelhead 24 years ago and I know he wouldn't want us to stop. Thanks Dad.

Well. hopefully soon I will get to see these wiper boils that everyone is talking about.

Jeff
[signature]
Will you be at Willard this afternoon?
[signature]
Yes, I will. I go to work at 2:00 p.m and work until 10:00.

Jeff
[signature]
I would really like you to have a look at my boat and see if it is up to snuff. I will be in the north marina around 4-5 and head south to the feedlot area. It is a 12' aluminum v-bottom painted camoflage and there will be 2 people in it. If you can find us i would appreciate it. I will also be flying my BFT flag. Thanks
[signature]
I will look for you. If I drive pass you, just flag me down. I think you know what I will be in but if not it is a white Chevy 1500 extended cab with a gold star on the side and a light bar on top. See you then. One last thing if you are planning not planning on being in before official sunset make sure you have navigation lights. They have to be displayed after sunset. I believe official sunset is around 9:10 p.m.

Jeff
[signature]
I've got all the lights. I will look for you. Thanks again.
[signature]