Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Been a while...
Hey all, it's been a while since my last post. I've been really busy with work, wife, etc.

I wanted to drop a line (no pun intended) and let you know about my last couple of weekends in the High Sierras.

A friend of mine is camping out for about a month up there. So I went up to help him get set up a couple of weekends ago. He found this sweet spot by a place called Jackass Creek (about 6500 ft. level). The creek was absolutely full of small brookies (about 6-8 inches). We had a blast catching tons of them on really light leaders with black ants, mosquitoes and adams flies. They would actually bite at about anything we threw at them.

Last weekend I went to another spot with my dad along Chiquito creek. This time we got skunked the first couple of days, then wouldn't you know it, the last day we were there... TONS OF FISH!!! I started right near camp, we were using hare's ear and prince nymphs along with black or brown wooly buggers. There was a nice little rapid with lots of little pools which we had fished both days previous with no luck, then a of a sudden wham! My dad caught a nice planter rainbow and I caught a 10" brown. We started hiking down stream and fished all of the same spots we had fished already and each spot, fish fish fish and more fish. In all that day I landed about 10 fish between 8" and 15", not bad for the area and half of which I released. Lunch that day was really nice. I am going to post some photos so check them out on the member board.

By the way, has anyone ever been bit by a rattlesnake? I came about 6" from stepping right on one. It was the first time I had ever seen one in the area so I wasn't expecting it at all[shocked].

Had a great summer.
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Hi there Discman and welcome back. I have yet to fly fish the Sierras. One of these days. Will be going up to the Tahachapi area for a few days. My friend said that the trout are still bitting as well as the bass and pan fish. Might be a good idea to carry a snake kit when hiking around the Sierras. Never been bit by a rattler. Hear that it is not a pleasent experience. Even a new born rattler can be very dangerous as for when the bite they just keep injecting venom. As they grow older they learn to control their bite.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Great report Discman (long over due[mad]) Got to stay in touch or we get a little worried.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Interesting info Dry Rod. We have them snakes in certain spots around here (Rockport area) I am surprised there are non at the Lodge. Seems like their habitat area. Have never come close to one....knock on wood. Kit sounds like a good answer.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]When my cousin and I were teenagers we caught a 4' timber rattler. We skinned it and were in the process of curing the hide when someone made off with our skin. Never bothered to repeat this scenario. Living at that time in upstate NY rattle snakes were to be found just about any place. By the way 74" in length is a record size in NY. Remember that old motto " Don't tread on me".[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]