Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McTucker Ponds Report
I fished the McTucker Ponds a few days ago. The McTucker Ponds wouldn't even be in my top 10 places to fish in Eastern Idaho right now but I was over there anyway so I thought I might as well fish.[Wink]

Fishing was better than I expected it to be. I caught bullheads (up to 10"), a channel catfish (12"), recently planted rainbows(9"-12"), very small LMB(most were about 4"), smaller bluegills (3"-6") and very small green sunfish (3"-4"). I caught fish on a little of everything (flies, lures and bait).

It was nice to finally catch a channel catfish out of the McTucker Ponds. The green sunfish were also a surprise.

Does anyone know how green sunfish got into the McTucker Ponds?

I'm guessing the bullheads survived the rotenone treatment but may have also been the work of a bucket biologists.[mad]

When I develop my film I'll post some pictures on this thread.(might be a few weeks).
[signature]
Here are the pictures I promised. I should have used the flash because the shadows turned out very dark.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17365]
This picture shows a green sunfish in the middle. The other two are bluegills.

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17366]
This picture shows a few of the bullheads and the catfish I caught. The bullheads didn't taste very good. Do any of you like to eat bullheads? Do you have any good recipes you would like to share?

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]
[signature]
Nice, I haven't had bluegill in my belly for a long time, them are good eats. As far as the cats, I keep catching big channels over here, but I just can't make myself eat them. Probably because all the slime dripping off them, lol. As far as the bullheads, I've never kept one either, but boy do I like panfish, yumyum.
[signature]
Wow EZOP, your missing out by not eating catfish, I luv Bluegill and perch, but I think Catfish are just as good. I like the smaller ones between 1 to 3 lbs. Fillet them, cut the dark mud line out on the larger ones, Roll them in any good batter and deep fry them to a golden brown. They taste better out of good water not dirty stagnet water I have found. Give'em a try I think you will be surprised at the out come. Check out the Utah site from several weeks ago with TubeDude and the Catfish fry we had at Utah Lake, they were great.[cool]
[signature]
When I was a little younger, I used too fish some local ponds that were full of Bullheads. My wife and I diligently tried to come up with a good recipe for cooking and eating. Don't think we ever were truly satisfied with the overall result of our experiments. They were fun to catch though. Oh, those darn spines![mad]
[signature]