Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 6/21 from the dike
Hit the water today with hookjaw brimhall. We targeted cats along the southeast dike. The W was blowing quite a bit harder today, making the fishing a little tougher. Between the 2 of us we managed 12-15 cats with the biggest going to Hookjaw with a 19". All the fish were caught on night crawlers. All were released.

We did see a few quick boils very close to the dike. We didn't have enough time to even make a cast for them. We did throw a few cranks and jigs with no success.

The party boaters were out in force. There was one group that were REALLY ridiculous. Multiple times I saw them speed past a trolling boat pulling a skier. In addition I don't know how many people the law allows on a 20-24' boat, but there were 9 people on this boat. Sometimes 2 or 3 of them were on the tower of the boat. They would also leave 2-3 people in the water, and pull another skier around for awhile. No flag up for these people. Just left them adrift. Lucky they didn't get killed by their comrades.

I do have a pic of the boat, but it was too far out to get an ID on it. Sorry.

Anyway, good to get out, and good company.

PS... sorry the pics are so fuzzy... don't have a great camera, and the camera operator is even worse. You can see how many people are on that boat though, and you can see the poeple on the tower.
[signature]
Did you fish the crawlers on the bottom? I wanna get into some of those kitties next weekend.Do some night fishing at willard on the boat or shore.Havent made cat jerky yet this year and my daughter is starting to get anxious to eat some.
[signature]
Crawlers under a bobber. We just cast along the dike and let the water/wind take over.
[signature]
I saw you guys fishing on the dike. I was in the big aluminum boat with the center console. We caught a few small wipers right after dark trolling north to south near the feedlot, pretty slow for us tonight. 4 small wipers to the boat, maybe the wind slowed it down.
[signature]
Was your boat the "Baja" something or other?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I fished out of the South Marina in a tube this morning. It was choppy early then layed down. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I fished way out, in about 16 feet of water. Lost two wipers but landed somewhere between 25 and 30 small channels. Biggest was 21". I ran out of bait they were hitting so fast. Used minnows and carp meat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I kept 8 to take to the fish filleting demo and fish fry I put on for the kids at the Youth Fishing Program last night at Bountiful Pond.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Solid workTD. When the wind really picked up, we were getting hit by spray 10 ft above the water on the dike. At least it kept the bugs down.

Does anyone know the regulations about how many people can be on a boat that size at the same time? 9 people is alot, and sitting on the tower like that is dangerous... especially is the wind. If not illegal, defenitely irresonsible.
[signature]
Yeah that was us, "The Baja Bayrunner"
[signature]
I really like the boat. I was tellin my buddy... "I want a boat just like that!" LOL.
[signature]
They are hard to find, we got lucky coming across that one. Drove all the way to California to get it.
[signature]
9 people on the boat? And I see one sitting on the tower!

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!

Unfortunately, it takes an serious accident to teach people some foresight but rather, in this case it's an aftersight for those people... once they get bounced off the tower...[pirate]
[signature]
At one point there were 3 people on that tower. You are right though... It takes a serious accident before people learn.
[signature]