Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Koke/Laker Trip June 24&25
A friend and I decided to hit FG to try to "mine some silver" as he says. We departed Bear Lake with his boat and my truck on Friday evening. Got to Squaw Hollow at "dark thrity" at 10:00pm. I slept in the bed of my truck and my buddy slept on the floor of his Lund Tyee. Got up at 4:30am and launched the boat. Dropped in the first downrigger line about 15 minutes later (4:45am) and had two kokes in the boat by 5:00am! Both were smaller and we released them. Fished until about 2:00pm. The main bite is over by 10:00am though so we just did some exploring for a few hours. Shaded up from about 2-6pm and ate a shore lunch of kokes and potatoes. Hit the water in a rough chop and landed a couple of keeper kokes. We kept 5 total kokes (minus one for dinner) and 5 lakers on Saturday. Quit fishing about 10:00pm. Pulled the boat the hit the hay again under the stars. Did the same thing on Sunday, but fished a new spot. Caught two more keeper Kokes to hit the 6 fish limit by 7:00am and then tried for lakers. Quit fishing on Sunday at 10:00am. Saw Sockeye Slayer on Sat. and Sun. but didn't get a chance to find out how he did. We fished the Big Bend area about 2 miles south of Buckboard Marina and the Squaw Hollow area. Standard stuff.....small spoons with dodgers about 45 feet down although I caught one koke on a 5" long 30' deep diving crankbait as we were fishing for lakers! Strange! Water depth really didn't seem to matter. We caught fish over the channel and up on the flats. Picked up one nice rainbow too (about 3.5lbs). All kokes we kept were 3lb. category and nice looking fish, but we caught quite a few smaller fish too. The lakers we kept were about 3 pounders and are excellent eating with nice pink/orange meat. Awesome trip!~ Left the digital camera at home and only had a film camera. Sorry but no pics yet.
[signature]
Great report BLFG - it sounded exactly like my trip from two weekends ago - we ended up with 5 nice kokes in the 19" range and had the afternoon chop (Wyoming W.). The fish did seem be be all over the place but we were fishing down by the Pipeline.

The other thing that happened to me was we almost (and I mean it was close) hit a BLack Angus cow walking down the middle of the road halfway between Mountain View and Manila. I had to do the Kyle Petty move to miss her... Sure made me drop my speed down to 50 until we got there.

This weekend I tried the cedar plank for cooking one of those kokes. I have had these cedar planks since last fall and really couldn't see how they could really be as good as they advertise but let me tell you - WOW that was the best koke I have ever tasted. Here is the link to the recipe --- [url "http://barbeque.allrecipes.com/AZ/CndinCdrPlnkdSlmn.asp"]http://barbeque.allrecipes.com/AZ/CndinCdrPlnkdSlmn.asp[/url]

I did take the recipes feedback and just used fresh lemon juice instead of wedges to not cause an underdone spot. Just make sure the fish is done next to the skin and you will be in Awe.

We are heading up again this weekend to renew our supply - I will be using the BBQ now for more fish than ever....
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Sounds like you guys had a fun time. That's really weird... a koke on a 5" crank.... never done that before.
[signature]
Thanks for the report BLFG,
Sounds like you had a really great time.
We'll be heading up there the 28th till the 2nd.
We'll be around Big Bend also.
[signature]
We also spent the weekend at FG.. Didnt really bother with the Koke at all but found the Mac fairly willing to play. I only had one decent hookup yesterday for my birthday but it came unstuck during the tussel.. Best part tho',, I enjoyed the battle and didnt have to mess around to unhooking it, sweet!! LMAO!![laugh]
And,, we took a few eaters home.. All in all, a great weekend..
[signature]
Don, that is great that you got to get out (sorry BLFG for hijacking your thread).
[signature]
Sounds like a pretty productive trip if you ask me. Thanks for the nice report.
[signature]