Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard
After being scared away by the wi-- Monday, we hit Willard last night for 5 solid hours of trolling. The fishing was slow for us, we used lipless, shallow, raps, flies, and we only managed to hook one 14" catfish w/ a shad rap. No wipers, no walleyes. The water was great all night and when the sun went behind the clouds it was alright. Was so busy switching up lures and trolling that I forgot to keep my eye on the gas gauge, sure made for a nice boat ride being towed in @ 9:00 with an empty tank though. Not many bugs and the pleasure boaters all kept their distance.
[signature]
Suggest you find a place to store a couple gallons of gas onboard at all times. I always have and it has come in handy on more than one occasion.
[signature]
You could be damn sure I will now. We were just north around the corner from the feed lot when we ran out. Another 2 cups of gas would have made the difference. I already bought a tank last night at Wally's on the way home. My wife loves when I do stupid stuff like that, I won't hear the end of this one for a while.
[signature]
Any boils that you could see?
[signature]
I did see two small boils but couldn't get there in time. The birds out there yesterday were going nuts, there was a group of 6 or 7 that dove non-stop for about 15 minutes. The conditions yesterday were perfect, it should have been a great day of fishing.
[signature]
I use small white tailed grubs, and have some 1/12 and 1/8 oz silver castmasters, about an 1 - 1.5" inches in length that work now.
[signature]
Small must be the key right now. I tried damn near my whole arsenal last night and couldn't even get a hit. I should have trolled the fly set up w/ a zonker.
[signature]
Match the hatch, I had 2 nights like that last year, and one of those nights I was inside the boil in my yak and did not get a hit...I am a slow learner....but am ready now.
[signature]
I fished a better part of the afternoon yesterday and caught 1 eye with a Walmart Renegade $2 lure and some noce cats with bait and a 23" wiper in the bajillionth boil i saw on the north end. They were all over but stopped before i could get to them. The one i hit was on the screaming trip back to the dock at about 7 pm. I saw it and only had time to kill the motor and cast. The third twich of my zara spook and the fish exploded like a tiger musky.
P.S. Be sure you sun block is still good, i have some severe burns on my legs, neck, and arms because i trusted it too much. That bottle went in the dumpster last night and i won't be in the sun for a day or so.[pirate][pirate][pirate]
[signature]
What boat were you in? I was in the little aluminum, two adults and one kid, and I had my BFT hat on. I need to get my flag hooked up.
[signature]
You saw me last week. The 12' camo coming out of the south marina.[Wink]
[signature]
I think I saw you last week too.. I was in the float tube in the south east corner.
[signature]
I don't remember a tube. The extreme corner or just out of the marina?
[signature]

[signature]