Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Wiper tubing.
[cool][#0000ff]I posted this on the Utah board, under the title "Second Hand Kitty", or something like that. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][#0000ff]TubeBabe and I hit Willard NE area about 6:30 AM. Perfect morning. No wind, no bugs, no power squadron. Water 75 degrees and good clarity.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Kicked out into an area where we saw some sporadic individual feeding splashes (not carp). Casted a variety of hardbaits, plastics and even feathers. TubeBabe had one hard smack on a 3" white twister. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We both put out a rod with minnow to drag while we continued casting. The small cats were pesky...one after the other. We eventually each kept 7 and released as many or more. The ones we kept went from 14" to 17". Lost a couple of larger ones at the tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]At 8:15 I set the hook in another "bitty kitty" and it took off on a dandy run. Yeeeee Hawwww. 21" wiper that weighed out at 4#. Really bent my stick and stretched my string.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I worked over to the dike to investigate the small fish that were jumping right next to the rocks. I fired out a tandem rig of small plastics and promptly started bringing in little smallmouths two at a time. They were in there gorging on the shadlets.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I dug through my collection of hardbaits and found a couple of little 2" shad imitations. I think they are made by Cordell. I have had them since I lived in Arizona and used to fish the largemouth boils when they fed on the small threadfin shad each year. They are small, light and run shallow. Got a good wiggle. I tried them on the little smallies and they approved.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I kicked out into deeper water, where I had been seeing those occasional splashes. Two casts later, with the little shad wiggler, I got nailed. I was using a light spinning rod and 6# line so I got beat up a bit. I was thinking another 4# wiper. Surprise. It was only about 14". Fought bigger. They all do.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After exercising several more of the mighty mites, I passed on my remaining shadlet lure to TubeBabe and she scored a couple of the small wipers before it was time to depart. They were still hitting. I caught the last of about seven or eight as I was kicking back in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now, for the title story. I was casting a small plastic, near the dike, when I felt it stop and then start jumping. Strange. I reeled in the fish and was really amazed at what I finally realized I was seeing. I had hooked the tip top of a 1 foot section of fishing rod...broken. To the rod was cinched about five feet of line, to which was tied a lure, upon which was a 13" channel cat. I am sure there is a good story behind that, but I can't figure how that little channel cat would be capable of breaking a rod, and then having the line wrap the broken tip and to stay secured to the fish. Even more remarkable was my hook finding the tiptop of the piece of rod and bringing the whole thing up. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, I released the little catfish. I would love to hear the stories he tells the other fish around the evening fire.[/#0000ff]
[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Attachments:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=16995;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] GLASSY.JPG [/#333366][/url](131 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=16996;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] SECOND HAND CAT.JPG [/#333366][/url](152 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=16997;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] SECOND HAND CAT 2.JPG [/#333366][/url](170 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=16998;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] WEE WIPER.JPG [/#333366][/url](211 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=16999;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] WEE WIPER 2.JPG [/#333366][/url](138 KB) [/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=17000;"][Image: image.gif][#333366] 21 INCH 4 POUNDS.JPG [/#333366][/url](270 KB)[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Another great report TD!. The pictures of the cat are impressive. Nice casting[Smile] Could be that the little cat burried itself or wrapped the line around some type of structure and the unlucky angler put too much pressure on a damaged rod tip. But, his/her loss, your gain of a fun fight and great story.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks. I can come up with several theories, but I am sure that the real story is better than any I could make up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Willard Bay is popular with trollers, for wipers. That "Producer" lure is a favorite trolling lure for wipers, but the cats in Willard Bay are sight feeders and often nab lures trolled for wipers and walleyes. Those silly kitties have even been taken on or near the surface while up chasing shad along with the other predators. So, the kitty hitting the lure is no big surprise.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What remains to be explained is how the rod broke on such a small fish, and how the line got wrapped around the rod tight enough to keep the whole shebang together. There was not more than about five feet of line between rod tip and lure. I am guessing that there was a ding in the rod tip and that when the angler tried lifting the cat aboard the break occured. It must have cut the line at the same time because the line was pretty stout line. I can't see how a small cat like that would break the line.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Veddy intermesting.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That is really wierd. I once caught a albino trout on the Ogden that had 4 different spinners in its back. Stupid people were trying to snag it I guess. I wish it would have had a piece of their rods as well. Would've served em right.
[signature]