Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginner info Bait Provo River Trout feeding on bottom
Hi all. just started Fly fishing this summer and love it! I was on the Provo this morning , just a ways below the dam , and caught a small brook and a large rainbow on a dry fly . Right below me in the water were a bunch of huge trout , cutthroat and rainbow , feeding in about 3 ft. of water . They were maintaining position and moving back and forth opening their mouths and feeding. I put all kinds of flies and nymphs in front and on top of them , but nothing. Just looking for some local knowledge as to what these big guys are eating! Any info and/or pictures of good flies to use would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Keith
[signature]
[green][font "Poor Richard"][size 3]Hi there keithr2334 and welcome to our board and to fly fishing. Lots of fun isn't it. Feels like you have a hold of a freight train when a catct is only 12" long. Not being familar with the Provo, which dam are you refering to? Deer Creek? It doesn't sound like those fish were surface feeding. Did you try a nymph? [green]M[/green][green]ost trout have a diet that consists primarily of sub-surface insects (nymphs). An angler who does not know how to nymph fish will be greatly limited on where they can fish and what they use. Something to think about next time out. Though I must admit dry fly fishing is a lot more fun.[/green][/size][/font][/green]
[signature]
The first half mile to a mile below a reservoir generally has a different type of insect life. There probably are a lot of midges (very small nymphs and small flies) Maybe size 18 to size 26 hooks. It takes a little experience to do well in this type of fishing but it can be a lot of fun. Talk to people at one of the fly shops and I am sure they will talk to you about what is needed. Hiring a guide will help with the learning curve. One of the FF organizations in the area generally have many people willing to talk for hours on the subject. Some of them have a "fishing buddy" program set up where they will take you on an outing to get you acquainted with the area and their organization.

You need to learn about cleaning your wading equipment to prevent taking diseases and invasive species to other locations. Take a look at these:
[url "http://www.westdenvertu.org/Conservation.htm#invasion"]www.westdenvertu.org/Conservation.htm#invasion[/url]

this will tell you various methods you can use
[url "http://www.westdenvertu.org/snails.htm"]www.westdenvertu.org/snails.htm[/url]
[signature]
Don't forget, sowbugs/scuds are a main food source on the provo. Good advise on the small. Even size 22 Zebras do real well, but the Rainbow Sowbug and the Sunset Sow work great year round. Also try small copperjohns in different colors (red and green) and Prince Nymphs in the smaller sizes.
Dry Rod, Provo/Deer Creek is my kneck of the woods.
[signature]
Thanks all! Just what I was looking for! Hopefully I can try out all your tips this upcoming week. And hopefully catch a big one! Thanks again!

Keith
[signature]
Good luck when you get back out. Oh, ya, by the way, you probably caught a brown trout not a brook. That part of the Provo is full of browns but no brookies.

Brookies are dark with light spots, and browns are light with dark spots.

Here is a picture of a brook trout:
[Image: brooktrout2.jpg]
Notice the very prominent white line on the anal and pectoral fins.

Here is a picture of a brown trout:

[Image: 31_brown_trout.jpg]
[signature]
I agree with it being a Brown. I have never heard of Brookies in the Lower Provo, but lighter Browns.
[signature]