Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 7-1-06
Frozenover and I hit Willard Saturday morning.
I was trying out my new poontoon.
We were on the water by 6 am and left at 12:30 pm.
James caught 8 cats and kept 5, I caught 3 and kept 2.
The fishing was slow, I was expecting a wiper or two. I only saw one boil and it was very quick.
I kept seeing fish on the finder, I tried jigging straight down for them without any luck.
The skiers made sure we could see them and they were showing off their skills in close proximity to us. At times going in between us.
We were down in the southwest corner of the lake. I was hoping for a lot less traffic.
The other fishermen were talked to, weren't doing any better.
The poontoon was fun, I little hard to get used to at first. I am used to the apron on the float tube keeping things secure. The poontoon does have bigger pockets and I was able to tie my tackle box and an icechest on the platform on the back. Both platforms have their advantages.
For now I am going to stick with the poontoon for a while.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I am going tomorrow. I hope at least some of the people leave tonight.
[signature]
In talking with some of the others who were there on Saturday, the blue and silver crank baits that have been working there in the recent past are not working there now.
Other than minnows, I couldn't tell you what to try.
[signature]
Jim, which toon did you end up getting?
[signature]
Willards been kind of slow for most people this year,must be conditions have changed this year
[signature]
I ended up getting the 8' from The Creek Company.
It was 189.00 delivered to the door. It took two days from the time I ordered it until it was at my door.
We had to pack the boats up the hill and down the bank aways, I wanted the 9' boat, but that day I was glad it wasn't any longer.
With it unloaded, I stood it on end and put it up on my shoulder and took off.
James has the Fish Cat Streamer, it is a little heavier. He has a wheel he uses to move it around while on land. I think I will get a wheel for mine somewhere down the line, as James can pack everything on his boat and only make one trip, whereas, I had to make three trips up and down the hill to get everything to the lake.

The Fish Cat and some of the other poontoon seem to be a little more robust. Only time will tell if this one from The Creek Company is going to be the great buy I thought it was.
As far as fishing from it, once I get rod holders set up like I want and fish finder like I want and learn how to pack, I think it is going to be a great fishing platform.

I found out I am going to have to hit the rowing machine a bit more. My right arm moves much more water than my left. So, I have a tendency to veer to the left as I row.

All in all, I am happy with my choice of the 8' boat from The Creek Company.
[signature]
If you don't have fins, get them. You will do a lot less rowing and a lot more fishing using fins. I don't even take my oars most of the time.
[signature]
Hew where'd you get the toon at? My brother is looking and wants one. My dad has a Creek Company and absolutely loves his. I think you'll like yours. He would like to buy a pontoon soon and that is in his price range...
[signature]
I caught 5 walleye on 6/30, all on Thunderstick Jr.'s in silver and blue. Trolled them about 16' down, about 144' feet behind the boards. I think they're still working, the fish just appear to be deeper.

[url "http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Paddler/Walleye06.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Paddler/Walleye06.jpg[/url]
[signature]
Single main, no kicker. Wink
I still use the fins for slow moving and keep a position. I was using the oars to cover a wider range of the water.
I am having trouble with my left knee, (doc says it has a tear) and having to kick all the time was hard on the knee and that is the reason I went to the poontoon instead of the float tube so I could use my arms if I needed to cover greater distances.
I did find, I still use the fins a large portion of the time, I just don't have to try and kick so hard.
[signature]
I went to this website. I found it on the float tube board.
[url "http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdisplay.php?primaryAutoID=6&Department=Pontoon+Boats"]http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdisplay.php?primaryAutoID=6&Department=Pontoon+Boats[/url]

I had very, very good service from them.
[signature]
You could very well be right. I tried letting the Rattle trap sink and then retrieving it.
Trolling seems to be more productive through.
Were you trolling close to the shore or out deeper in the lake?
[signature]
I went out to Willard on Sunday evening with my sister and B-law. We started fishing around 5:00 pm and pulled out at 9:00. I made good use of my two pole permit and hooked up with 9 fish. On my 6th fish I had a double hook up and had to have my B-law reel in the other fish. We had several double hook ups it seem when you would stop the boat to reel in the first fish one of the other poles would get hit. We started to do some stop and goes it seem to help catch a few fish when we would stop. I was using a purple and pink rattler and a blue and sliver rattler. My sister and B-law hooked up with 4 fish using other colors. The fish were all over 2 lbs the biggest fish was 2.9 lbs and 20 inches.
[signature]
Sounds like I may have to put a trolling motor on my poontoon.
[signature]