Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 7-4-06
Fished the Berry with my father today. We hit he water at 7:00 a.m, and headed straight to our favorite spot just north of Mud Creek. On my first cast, I dropped my line in the water and had a fish on before the line even touched the bottom! We used glow in the dark, olive, and pumpkin colored tube jigs tipped with chub meat, and it produced fish almost all day. There were two 45 minute spans where we had no bites, but other than that we had a bite almost every cast. The fish finder showed a steady stream of fish in 35 ft. of water so we decided to stay in the same spot all day. The water was like a sheet of glass until about 1:15p.m, when a huge black cloud made its presence known and we decided to call it a day. It was a good thing too, because the wind and rain went crazy right when we got the boat out of the water. After all was said and done, we boated 36 fish between the two of us. All were cutt throats in the slot, except for two beauties that came in at 23.5 and 22.5 in. respectfully. We used the techniques taught to us by the jig master MGB, and it made for an awesome day.
[signature]
great report, sounds like the berry is picking up alittle.
time to hit it with the toon.
thanks for sharing. [cool]
[signature]
AttaBoy Vanman! Good to hear the fish have moved in to that area. The last month has been tough fishing but it seems it is starting to pick up. I do much better when the fish move out to deep water rather than hold tight to shore line in shallow water plus the spawn didn't help any either. We need to hook up again, let me know if and when you can go. Congratulations on the two big ones.
[signature]
SWEET! Just what I wanted to hear! Thanks for the report!
[signature]
[cool]Very nice report, vanman. Sounds like it was an awesome day up on 'da berry. Did you guys notice many crawdads around the shorlines/marina?
[signature]
Nice!

Sounds like you had a great time. I'm gonna need MGB to teach me them tactics too! [sly]
[signature]
MGB, I have a kick boat and want to jig for cuts at Strawberry. Are there some jigging tricks you can give me on how to get those big boys to strike? I have done some tube jigging before but not with alot of success. I am interested in knowing the color and technique that you are so famous for. Thanks.
[signature]
There were people catching quite a few crawdads at the Strawberry marina Monday morning with a piece of chicken. I caught 3 with my cast net.
[signature]
[reply]
[cool]Very nice report, vanman. Sounds like it was an awesome day up on 'da berry. Did you guys notice many crawdads around the shorlines/marina?

[/reply]
Hey Out4Trout. To tell you the truth, I was not really paying much attention to the crawdads. We set up shop about 100 yds. from shore, so I didn't see any there. Likewise from the marina. We did have a chub I would say weighed about 4 pounds come floating belly up right next to the boat. I had no idea at all that those things have gotten that big again in the berry.
[signature]