Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outboard HP rating old vs. new
I have been told that back in the day the HP rating on an outboard was measured at the engine and these days it is measured at the prop. Is that true? If it is true does anyone know the year the standard changed for HP rating? Im looking to upgrade to a bigger motor, I'll have to buy something used but wanted to get new enough for the HP to be measure at the prop.
[signature]
Of all the considerations when buying a used motor, I think this one should be way down on your list.
[signature]
I think your talking about 2 differant rateings. torque is measured at the prop, and the h.p., well thats the hose power of the motor. that would be just like hp on a car motor and torque at the rear wheels. hope this helps, later chuck
[signature]
If outboards are rated at the prop in torque? Then how come they are sold in hp and not amount of foot pounds of torque?Outboards are rated AT the prop to measure hp and thats how they are sold.
Since the truth in advertizing laws have changed,inboards with out drives are rated at the prop also.IMO the only marine engines that are rated in amount of hp straight from the engine are true inboards,with a shaft directly to the prop and diesel's.Diesel engines are measured differently then gas engines when it comes to hp.
[signature]
[red][size 3]The International Council of Marine Industry Associations (ICOMIA 28/83) standard I believe was established in August of 1984. Before that, advertising ruled and you got what you got.[/size][/red]
[signature]