Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Muskie Record 7/5/06 ? Plus report
I have been up at pineveiw 2 times this week. First day I spent trolling which is usually a good bet this time of year. With the lake being so full it is difficult to troll the shorelines. I did manage a couple in the 35" range on monday trolling. Nothing spectactulal. I went up yesterday again and began trolling once more. Caught a few Smallies in the first 3 hours, but no Tigers. While I had my boat stopped I picked up a rod and cast near a clump of brush near the shore. 2 quick jerks and and tiger came out and struck about 10 feet from my boat. He missed and I gave it 1 more jerk and he turned around and hit again. I got him that time! I spent the next 3 hours casting parellell along submerged brush and managed tp catch 4 more Tigers. All caught casting and they were all in the mid 30" range with the exception of a little 20". After awhile I decided to troll for a big one. As I was trolling up in the middle fork watched a Kid hook into a monster! I went over and watched them and talked with them. I had spoken with them as I launched earlier that day. They measured the fish a couple of times it was 49 1/2" or 50" and very fat. Probably the same size as the record that was caught a few weeks back. Watch for reports to see if it did weigh more! Anyhow I was pissed the fish I was after was caught right in front of me. LOL. I figure I will let the little guy have credit for now! Actually it was cool to see the little guy catch that Hog! I snapped a few pics, plus a few I caught the last couple days.
[signature]
THAT KID JUST CAUGHT THE BIGGETS FISH OF HIS LIFE.
[signature]
It is too bad they felt they had to harvest that beast. Who knows how big he could have gotten had he not been killed. I have seen first hand fish that are over 50" in Pineview. I hope we all have the self control to release the big ones when caught. I have yet to see a 55" Tiger but would really like to one day see one.
[signature]
I have hooked one that went 55+ but he spit the hook back at me right at the boat. I dont think Pineveiw Tigers get much over 52-54 from what I have caught and heard being caught. Let the kid have his record if it does weigh out. Only way to claim the record is to harvest the fish. Maybe If somebdy put a 40lb certified scale up there at pineveiw a few of these monsters could be realesed. That is if your lucky enough to have a live well capable which I doubt most do. Unfortuanatly you have to go to Ogden to weigh a fish this size!That fish lived a long life and was taken legally. I assure you that there are plenty left that size in the lake. From what I have seen the DWR is doing a good job planting Tigers and there is only more to come.
[signature]
[Sad]To bad,that is really Sad to see a fish that big on a stringer.congrats to the kid that caught it.I hope it is the new record.but if you say there are 55+ tigers in there why not blow away the old record with one that will stay on the books for awhile.
I hope to one day catch a tiger,and hopefully catch one that big,he is a monster.
You sure know how to catch'em.
thanks for sharing.
fnf
[cool]
[signature]
Here is a 52" from a few years back. They do get bigger. Dont wanna hear crap about killing this fish either. I stood in the water for 1/2 hour on a cold april day trying to revive her. she never came too and I had to haul it back 1/2 mile hike back to my truck. I was sick for a week after from standing in the cold water! It took me about 6-8 hours after to find a scale in Salt Lake that went over 30 lbs and I was barley under the weight of the record at the time. The fish lost a whole lot of eggs and blood. Had I found a scale earlier it would have weighed over. Oh and by the way I have the next 3 weeks off and will be trying for the record!
[signature]
[Wink]Not trying to get you riled up,sometimes you have to take them,they are really big and I bet they fead you for a long time.I had all week off and haven't been able to get out all week,I am debating going to willard in a few.
You have a fishing license and they are leagal for the taking.
good luck on the new record i hope you catch it.
later,fnf[cool]
[signature]
Holy $%!^!!! That is a nice muskie you got there. Too bad it didn't recover... be 58" now! [Sad]
[signature]
What seemed to work the best for casting? Were you throwing j-13 rapalas, spinner baits, etc...? Looks like you have it figured out. We are headed to Willard tomorrow after work but pictures and report like that could make a truck miss the turn off to Willard pretty easy.
I hit willard on monday. Not a single bite over 8 hours. Planer boards and all. Lake was glass all day and did not see one boil! I wont give out exactly what I was using. I dont do that unless I know the people I show how to catch the Tigers also know how to revive them correct. The big ones are very easy to kill this time of year. Cast around submerged brush near deeper water with a suspending lure. Give it a good jerk every now and again then start reeling in again! Or just burn it over the brush. It seemed alot better to cast prallell to the brush! The smaller guys are near the brush. If you are lucky you might get a bigger one in theses areas. I did release a 20" muskie near the brush only to see a 40"+ come up and eat him as he was swimming away. Kinda cool. Never seen that happen before!
[signature]
Good report ssabshif. I wouldn't dout it if you did catch the record you have the knowledge, determination and the patience it takes to catch them big boys. Good luck on your muskie hunt and keep us posted.
[signature]
Stellar catch! Very good job, dead or alive that is a nice fish.

IFG
I have caught tons of smaller ones this year, but i was tight in the structure. Maybe i should stray to deeper water.
[signature]