Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum fishing
I was able to go out to Hyrum today and fished from 9:30 till 3:30. The new ice that recovered the thawed ice is only about 2 1/2" to 3" deep. It was a little scary. When you would drill your hole, you could hear all of the ice making sounds over what seemed the whole lake. There was another guy there that fished with me and instead of dying for trout, we just sat on the dock and fished. The fishing was definately slow, but it was fun.
I had about ten bites, and so did the other guy. He was able to reel in 3 trout, and I got two. There were fish suspended underneath the dock all over but the fishin' buddy didn't show much on the sidefinder at all. We were using green, orange, and rainbow powerbait. Also airplane jigs, rat finkee's, and a glow in the dark jig.
There were two other groups on the ice but I'm not sure how they did. A couple of crazy guys fished on the two inch stuff, but the sounds of the ice scared them off for home in about 20 minutes. Good to be out though!!!!!!!!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]When I saw those guys out there yesterday as I drove by, I was thinking "sheer foolishness. Not me, my friends." I figured it was just a little too soon. Ice fishing junkies anyway......[cool] [/size][/font]
[signature]
Hi Kicknbass! I don't blame you at all, I wouldn't be out there on 2" of ice-

no way! [crazy]

I fish Hyrum a lot in the summer. Last Sept and Oct I caught quite a few bass off the dam side of the res., a few were decent but most were just little guys. They sure loved chasing my rapala!

Haven't caught too many trout, guess I am just not using the right kind of powerbait. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Derek
[signature]
My best luck at Hyrum has been on mealworms. The best spot to fish for trout that I have found is over by bigtoe. Fishing in ten to twelve feet of water with just a jig and either the mealworm or brighter colored powerbait like the ones mentioned in my previous e-mail. I caught that 14 1/2" bass on a mealworm and a glow in the dark rat finke. Make sure to jig every 10 to 15 seconds to keep the interest.
[signature]
Cool. Where is 'bigtoe' and how do you get there? [Wink]

Thanks!

D
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Big Toe is the point on the east side of the lake, just below "Miller" Estates. A lot of guys access the lake on the east side by parking at the top of the ravine just off the road and walking down to the ice. Big Toe is right there at the bottom. You can also walk down the State Park Swim Beach area and head east once you hit the ice. You can see Big Toe from there.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We used to kill the perch in that area just south of Big Toe, along the east shoreline in about 17 ft of water. You'd usually get a trout on the drop to the bottom. We used light kastmaters as an attractor and some sort of ice fly about 8" below with mealworm or perch meat.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Hey BLM,I thought you did not fish Hyrum? Or was that from days gone by. WH2
[signature]
Ya... BLM's fished it many times in the past. Since he rediscovered Bear Lake and it's big fish a couple years ago, I've had a hard time getting him on Hyrum. I think he hit the Hyrum ice with me once last year and not at all this winter. He just doesn't get fired up about fishin' unless there's a chance at a 10+ lb fish.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I've lived on the shoreline of Hyrum Dam for 20 yrs. Give me a break, big guy! How can I not know every nook and cranny of Hyrum? I've caught more perch and trout out of that lake than most guys. I haven't fished Hyrum hard for a some years. Less and less as time goes by. My thrills lie else where but it doesn't mean I'm oblivous to things close to home. You want to catch fish at Hyrum, I'll send you a PM.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3](edit) You remember what Matthew Quigley said at the end of the movie when he gunned down the villian with a pistol. "I said I wasn't partial to a hand gun, I didn't say I didn't know how to use one". That me with Hyrum.[/size][/font]
[signature]
What was I thinking, but I would like to give it a try at least once, so I can suck up some of your vast knowledge of Hyrum.
Maybe we can work it in between the end of Bear lake fishing and the beginning of Willard fishing. WH2
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Vast Knowledge? Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I've got a clue but I would hope so after living here this long. If you want to fish Hyrum you might want to get here while it's still got half way decent ice. If there will be a cold front after these storms it could get better but if it stays this warm, it won't be long til its mush again.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hi Perchfillet!

The car bodies are on the north shoreline between the ramp and swim beach areas. It’s more of an old junkyard. The bottom area is gravely and one of the better places to find Bluegill. If you’re on foot you can walk the foot trail or on the ice from the boat ramp area and head east. You’ll see them in the big willows.

I noticed that you're not registered. Why don't you get registered, shoot me a Private message and we'll discuss a few Hyrum secrets. Thanks for coming over and posting and here's to you becoming a regular here at BFT Utah! [/size][/font]
[signature]