Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Fishing Report
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][black]Fishing Report and Conditions at Bear Lake[/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][black]Thursday, July 06, 2006[/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][black] [/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][black]The fishing on Bear Lake is holding up well despite the warm weather and recreation pressure on the weekends. The best luck has been for cutthroat trout. Trolling along the east side from the scout camp to South Eden has been producing some nice fish and good numbers. Troll with downriggers at depths of 35-60 feet down with smaller spoons such as needle fish or rapala-type lures. Yellow and/or green have the most popular colors. Also, jigging along Cisco Beach in about 60 feet of water right on the bottom has been producing both cutthroat and lake trout. Longlining in this area with dead cisco has also been producing some steady action. [/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][black]With warming temperatures one of the "tricks" to try on Bear Lake is trolling with flat lines near the surface off of North and South Eden canyons in the early morning while the canyon breezes are blowing. The breeze blows hoppers and other insects out onto the water surface and fish key-in on these areas for feeding. Shallow running rapalas or other small crank baits seem to do well. Also, don't overlook using planer boards on calm water days to get your lure out and away from your boat. The clear water of Bear Lake allows fish to see the boat and become spooked. With your line running off the side you stand a better chance of hooking some nice fish. One other hint may be to speed up while trolling. With the warmer water fish become more active and aggressive and sometime speeds up to 3.5mph will produce action while the typical trolling speed of 1-2mph will not. [/black][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 2]Swan Creek opens to catch and release fishing on Saturday, July 8th. Remember this is an artificial flys and lures only stream. Respect private property and fish only in areas open to the public. The surface water temperature is currently 66 degrees. With the higher water more ramps are available for launching and even during the busy weekends there is either none or very little wait to launch boats. Boats can be launched at the Utah State Park Marina, First Point Ramp, Rainbow Cove or Cisco Beach Ramps. The water has reached the maximum height for the year and is currently at 5911.89 feet.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for posting the report Scott, good to know people are still catching fish there. With the water level being so high, how far is it from being a full pool?
[signature]
[Wink]WH2

I was up to Bear Lake this past weekend. Did not fish but was with Bear Lake fish guy at a get together. The lake is up nice but still has a ways to go to get back to the glory days of water splashing onto the road between Garden City and Laketown.

The old marina South of Sweetwater, On the South side of Gus rich point is still at least 3-5 out of the water. A few more good snow years will bring us back.

Scott and I discussed the planner board issue and feel that it would be very effective. I am going to try it this fall.

RILEY
[signature]
I have used side planners before when fishing for trout but this time of the year I think it would only work early in the morning or late in the evening. Other times of the year might be worth trying all day. I caught a 3.5 lb cutt earlier this year on a planner board, so it will work.
[signature]
I am heading to Bear Lake next week to my wifes family cabin and am dying to do some fishing. We don't have a boat to fish out of (only used for "fun" stuff) so I will be going from shore. Where can I go? I just want to catch something. Is this going to be possible?
[signature]
First of all welcome to the site, in case I haven't replied to one of your post before. Second, as one of the guys mentioned in another post about Bear lake, yes it is possible to catch fish from shore at Bear lake. As he stated, the best place to give it a go would be on the East shore of the lake around cisco beach where to deep water is closer to shore. Your best bet is to get up early and be at the shore as it is getting light, the earlier the better. I use large heavy spoons like krocidiles(spelling), gold with a red stripe have worked well at times. You can also catch them on Rapalas, I like the large ones because you can cast them further, black backs with silver or gold sides will work. A lot of lures will work, as will bait if you are taking any. If you have waders that will help but you can wade in your cloths as deep as you dare and start casting, work an area over casting at different angles. I usually cast 10 or 12 times per spot before I move to another area, a dozen or so yards down the beach. Be careful when wading in the deeper water or you might fall in and get soaked. Good luck, I hope this helps. WH2
[signature]
I appreciate the help. I will gve it a try.
[signature]