Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling question
A buddy of mine has a 24' cuddy cabin Bayliner. We have been trolling for wipers without alot of success (2-4 a evening). We are back 30' to 40' yards. Is that far enough? Iv'e tried just about everything from Rattle traps to crocodles. Any suggestions? I just keep hearing these stories of 20-30 fish days.
[signature]
Trolling you have a few variables that you need to nail down. Be an active troller. Don't just toss out the lines and kick back and grab a drink. The fish will tell you what they want, if you pay attention.

First is speed. How fast are you going? A good range is 3-5 mph. Turn the boat constantly in an "S" pattern, then pay attention to whether the bite comes on the inside or outside line. If the former, slow down; if the latter, speed up. Also, changing speed with the throttle will often trigger bites. You can troll for hours and suddenly cut the motor and bam.

Second is the bait size. Any white or shad-immitating crankbait will work. But Willard Wipers often like them small. So get a variety of sizes and try to see what the fish want. You need to match the forage.

Third is bait depth. In a shallow lake like Willard, your sonar is useless for spotting fish. Sure you'll mark them, but it won't give you an accurate representation of the fish throughout the lake. If you start catching catfish, you're fishing too deep. Wipers are often in the upper water column, so put something on or close to the surface. They'll come up for it. Then you can start honing in on the precise depth.

Last, these variable change over the course of the day, as the sun comes up, as the water warms, as the wind blows, as the lake receives more traffic, as the barometer moves, as the forage moves, etc. So you need to be flexible and change too. Get a 2-pole permit and keep changing the presentation on the rods not getting any action.

Last last, watch the grebes. They'll tell you where the shad are. And where the shad are the wipers are too. Those 20-30 fish days are when you find a pod of fish or boils that just won't quit.

Last last last, when you catch a fish, turn around and go right back over that same spot. His buddies will probably be close by. It's tough to find the fish and tough to stay with them. Remember, 90 percent of the fish are in 10 percent of the water, and if you're in the other 90 percent of the water you're just washing your lures.

Good luck.
[signature]
Well I was hoping for some help. I didn't think anyone would take the time you did. I really appreciate the advise. I'll try it out and let you know.
Thanks again.
[signature]
I like to troll a 3" white curly tail grub on an 1/8 oz. head, i have found that sometimes that is the most productive rig. Good luck, hope to see you on the watter.
[signature]
Windknot,
Would ya hurry up and figure out the trolling thing so I can bring my boat up and you teach me all about them wipers! Gosh! [Wink]
[signature]
Hey I'll tell you what, you figure out whats in a womans head and I'll figure out whats in a wipers head and then we'll swap info. I have a feeling its going to be a long wait for both of us[sly][sly]. I think the trill is just in the effort and once you catch one worth keeping life just seams to get alot brighter. True in both of the above. I'm looking forward to the day you decide to make a trip up.
(I'll have to throw something nice on the for sale board to lure you up.[Tongue])
[signature]
[size 1]"I'll have to throw something nice on the for sale board to lure you up."[/size][Tongue]

doesn't take much to temp me. I Thought hard about the leather couches and the tiller both.... LOL

I won't even begin to touch whats in a womans head. It just ain't worth it man. Get in tooooooo much trouble! LOL
[signature]