Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fiberglass boat
sorry for all the stupied questions and being a sore i know some of you must be shaking there heads at me about now for all the questions i ask...anyhow here is my question on my fiberglass boat where someone mounted a fishfinder put it to close to the boat motor so when i get my boat in the water i get a nice whale fin of water shooting up in the air so my question is if i unscrew the screws holding that bracket what do i use to patch the hole that they drilled into the boat....thanks agian and sorry for all the questions lately
[signature]
Duct Tape![Wink] Just kidding. I would clean the area good and use a 2 part epoxy, or silicone. I'm sure there is a better answer, so if anybody has a better idea, please chime in.
[signature]
Fill the holes with a good silicone and put just the screws back in and let it cure.

Bodine
[signature]
I don't know if the product is really that much better, but there is Marine Grade Silicone for "Above water line" and "Below water line" made for doing exactly what Bodine11 said. You never want water under the gel coat or you could have big problems.
[signature]
Go buy some 3M 5200 sealant/adhesive. It's the best stuff out there for boats. It takes some time to cure, but it is nearly indestructable when it's all setup. All the salt water pros recommend this stuff. It will eat silicone for breakfast! I saw some for sale at Home Depot surprisingly.
[signature]
unless the screws you used for your transducer are longer than an inch you shouldn't have any issues.
but there is several 2 part fiberglass repair kits that are easy to use.
I like to use the gelly rasin its easier to use because its not as runny.
DZ
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]There's a couple ways to do it. like Danny said, you can use some "angel hair" fiberglass filiments, soak it in activated poloyester resin and force it down the holes and let it set up. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]There is a product call MarineTex that is EXCELLENT for patching holes in glass hulls. Here's a link to the product.[/size][/black][/font]

[url "http://www.marinetex.com/index.htm"]http://www.marinetex.com/index.htm[/url]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]You can obtain this from most marine shops. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You can fill the holes with silicone and put the screws back, it's an easy fix, but if you don't want screw heads plugging holes in your hull, take the time to do it right. The nice thing about filling the holes with glass or MarineTex is you can redrill in the same area again if you decide to mount something there in the future.[/size][/font]
[signature]