Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Additional Limit of Brook Trout
For a few years now, the DWR has given anglers the additional Brook Trout limits in the Uintas (8 fish - as long as 4 are Brookies). I was just wondering if anyone has been noticing a difference in the quantity or quality of brookies in the Uintas?
I have fished a few of the bigger, more popular lakes, and have had a hard time getting brookies on the line. (Although I have had more success using flies versus lures) In fact, most of the anglers' stringers I see don't have any brookies at all.
Perhaps the higher elevation lakes are seeing changes in the brookie population?
Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.
[signature]
I have noticed the higher elevation lakes still have alot of brookies in them. Also all the areas in Murdock basin still are full of brook trout.
[signature]
Most lakes that I have backpacked into are full of brookies and you have a hard time catching anything else.
[signature]
I bet the populations in the higher areas are still way overpopulated and stunted.
[signature]
The reason that you don't see a lot of brook in the "more popular" lakes is because they are more popular. The lakes that you can drive to like along the Mirror Lake highway get a lot of fishing pressure. For that reason they are primarily put and take fisheries and are stocked regularly with the put and take staple in Utah (rainbows). Any of the lakes that cannot be reached by the planting truck must be stocked by air and most have dense populations of stunted brook. Which is the reason for the additional limit.
[signature]