Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not wet suit, not dry suit but....
All of us guys would like to just go in the lake with shorts or jeans. Some would use the waders. With this summer season on and lake's warm I would like to see if there is a pants and shirt that would dry out when you get out of the lake in a short while. The reason I'm asking that jeans take a long time to dry and I would have to remove them (baring my moons)....at who knows passing by...... I don't like swim suit while fishing in those lake without knowing what's around there.
[signature]
something like this... [url "http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2541&deptid=1152"]Click here: NRS - NRS Owyhee Shorts[/url]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The only reasons to wear waders...neoprene or lights...are to keep warm and/or dry when the water temps are cold enough that you don't want to expose your tender body to the elements. Actually, there are a couple of other reasons. First would be when there are nasty organisms in the water...like "swimmers' itch". Second would be when the water is used as a drinking water supply and there are restrictions against swimming and bare skin.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]I have been tubing both wadered and wet for a lot of years. Like most tubers, I have tried going afloat in plain old denim jeans. They work but they soak up a lot of water and they tend to bunch up and wrinkle...causing chafing in tender places. I have also given up on wearing shorts. They do not provide protection for the lower extremities when you go through weeds or brush, and they leave the knees exposed to sunburn.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]For about the last three years, I have been wearing nylon doubleknit "coaches' pants" for tubing wet. They are lightweight, but provide plenty of skin protection. And, they stretch to eliminate uncomfortable wrinkles next to the skin. And, when it comes to water absorption, they drain and dry much more quickly than cotton pants. On warm dry days my pants are almost dry by the time I finish packing up my gear for the trip home. [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Even though the pants do dry quickly, I still carry a change...either denim or cotton pants, or shorts on hot days. It is more comfortable (and better for your skin) if you are able to remove the damp britches, towel off and wear clean dry pants on the ride home. Most areas have restrooms you can use for changing, or you can drive to a reststop on the highway. If you are in a remote area, just moon the wildlife and go for it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey all,

Have been doing a lot of fishing and haven't been to the forums for awhile. Just wanted to echo some others statements about how great this board is. I owe this board a lot for some great tips and recommendations.

Besides tubing I like to wade some of the smaller streams here in Missouri for large mouth and smallmouth. What I have found that serves my needs for tubing and wading are the nylon pants that have zip off legs. I found them and a great vest of the same material from Wally world. Mine are produced by Sports Afield and were on clearance or mismarked at Walmart for two dollars a pair. They dry very quickly and I carry the zip off legs in my vest when wading so I can put them on if the water gets so deep I have to wander thru woods. Itch weed, poison ivy and chiggers will ruin a wading trip real quick. I agree with Tube Dude in that even when wearing the quick dry nylon I still change into nice dry sweat shorts afterwards. I am usually so waterlogged I am anxious to be in something more comfy. I also wear soft nylon shirts from Basspro by World Wide Sportsman. I have them in both short and long sleeved versions. They dry quick, are nice and light even when wet and I sometimes wear the long sleeve version in the hottest days of summer to prevent sun damage, and the long sleeves when wet are very cooling.

Take care and good fishing,

vl
[signature]
Bluegillman:

Go on E-Bay and purchase an inexpensive golf rain suit. Pants have pockets and jacket has hood. Best of both worlds drys quickly and you have rain jacket to stow on your tube.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]I wear the Polyester (both zipper leg and regular fishing pants). They dry very quickly. You should never wear cotton under waders anyway, so I bought several pair of these pant's and live in them all summer at the Lodge or anytime we go on a fishing trip. Plus they are so much cooler on shore in the heat of the day.[/font]
[signature]
Ditto FlyGoddess! Those pants are real comfortable with or without the lower legs zipped on.
[signature]