Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highlights and Goals
[cool][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] I was doing some tackle sorting and organizing over the weekend and took a few trips down memory lane. Simultaneously, I found myself making plans for some trips to some new places, for some different species...or to try to hook into some larger fish. It occurred to me that this would make a fun thread...to pick out at least one of the most memorable trips or experiences of 2002...and then to come up with a specific goal for the coming year.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I was limited in the range of my fishing excursions last year, by my responsibility of caring for my parents in my home, but I got in quite a few good local trips around Phoenix. One of my most memorable trips, on Saguaro Lake, produced eight species...all on the small lures I customarily fish on light tackle and 4# or 6# line.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I started off with a couple of largemouth, about three or four pounds, on plastics fished shallow. Then came a smallmouth of about 1.5 #. These were "daybreakers". As soon as the hot sun hit the water, along with some water skiers in the area, the bass went deep and got lockjaw. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I moved out into deeper water, along a weedline and began bottom bouncing a little Roadrunner bait bug. Over the course of the next three or four hours...until the thermometer climbed to over a hundred degrees...I caught one walleye, several bluegill and green sunfish, a couple of decent crappies and over a hundred fiesty yellow bass. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I also got to wrestle with several channel cats from about three to nine pounds. Those babies really bend your stick and stretch your string. On four pound line and a light rod, it takes a few minutes before they develop an insane desire to crawl into your net.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I had several other trips almost as good, but that one was particularly satisfying. Tube Babe (Mrs. Dude) was also along...as usual...and she hung right in there with me. A whole lot of "high C's" that day.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]My number one goal for the coming months is to get back down on the Sea of Cortez. That whole long arm of water is full of fish. I drive in to some remote fishing villages, along the Sonora coast, on primitive roads that keep out all but the trucks from the Mexican fisheries that supply the fishermen and truck out their catches. Of course, crazy gringos like me, with high clearance and four wheel drive can make it in too.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Cortez is narrow, and does not have surf, like the Pacific...unless there is a strong blow coming onshore (rare). I launch my kick boats just like I was launching on a freshwater lake. In many locations, as soon as my fins no longer kick the sand (or rocks), I can start casting. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I lie not...it is often possible to hook a hundred fish in a hundred casts...and have at least twenty species represented. A lot of them will be the ubiquitous "trigger fish". They are flat sided, with big tails...and big canine teeth...and a two pounder can snap ten pound line, if you don't have a good drag. Some of the other species, depending on the season and the location: sierra mackerel, a couple of kinds of snappers, spotted sand bass (just like So. Cal), several groupers and cabrillas, wrasses (similar to sheepshead in Cal), machetes, corvina (to 20 lbs), white seabass, halibut, pompano and the bothersome needlefish. The latter sometimes form large schools near the surface and destroy any plastics you cast before they can sink to more desirable species.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Of course there are small inshore sharks an some huge stingrays too, if you are masochistic enough to want to play with them, when the more exotic fishes have got you jaded.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]And the endless miles of beaches...to put new tracks with my deflated tires and 4X4. Camp anywhere and pick up thousands of untouched seashells. And, the sunrises and sunsets! And the fish fries on the beach at night. And the bazillion stars in the clear desert air after dark.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Yep. That's my goal this year.[/size][/font]

Here's a mixed basket (or two) from San Carlos area. Mostly triggerfish.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0597034.jpg]

Closeup of triggerfish. They eat any lure you throw...and fingers too.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0671518.jpg]
[signature]
Taking a trip down memory lane I can not help but remember my honey moon to maine. My wifes family owns a cabin off of a small tributary lake to moosehead. We were planning on goning up there for months and decided to go for our honeymoon. Gotta say thank the lord that my wife is into fishing as much as I am.

Using shad red culprit worms every cast would hook a fish. From Northern pike to giant large mouths. Earlly morning topwater and bullhead fishing to spinner baits in the afternoon. We fished everyday from sunrise to sunset. I can not even remmember the how many fish we caught. Hope to get back there this year for our two year anniversary.
[signature]
Hey guys
I live in Salt Lake area of utah.Most weekends my wife and I go out to Vernal UT. Its about 3hours a way from Salt lake.There is a lot of small reservoirs that I like to fish(with tube or without).One of my highlight of last year took place on a little reservoir called Calder. It was the beginning of march so I thought that I would be able to get in to the hot ice off action.I got up there at first light and saw that it did't have any ice at all. I started with a bubble and a woolybugger. I fished for about 15 minutes with out a bit .I went to a Brown trout Rapala. It aws non stop action from there on. I was caught 15 rainbow trout in about 40 minutes.I didn't catch all of these fish in one place I kept movig toward the rocky point by the dam.It was a cool day with a little wind.I saw some fishing men fishing off the point so I was going to give them space and not fish near there spot. As i was walking up to them I saw a big school of trout in about 5ft of water.I told them what I saw. One guy ran over there and went right up to the shore and said"I don't see anything don't lie to us." I just shook my head and walked away. If he didn't know that he spooked the fish away I wasn't going to tell him.On the way back I decide not to be a nice guy and I fished where I saw those fish.Second cast I hooked in to a huge trout I brought it to shore when it came off my line. I didn't even think I just jumped into the water up to my knees bend down and scooped up the big rainbow and tossed it up on shore. I measured the big girl and put her back. YOU SHOULD OF SAW THE LOOKS ON THERE FACES.[shocked The fish was 22" long.It was a good day
[signature]

Hey there tincanfish,

Good story, just reinforces the idea of stealth. Be it lake, beach, or floattube, I usually leave most of my gear a short way from where I'm going to start fishing or launch. Besides, puff puff, getting everything checked out, I watch the water for a while, even if I see fish. Gotta keep in mind, if the area is a good launch site it probably holds fish too.

Standing 15 or 20 feet from the waterline and making your initial casts never hurt anybodys creel count. I learned this from an old flyfishing buddy.

Good Show, I wonder if our doubting thomas's learned a fishing lesson? ha ha

tsurikichi
[signature]
[cool]Hey, JR, there has to be some ageless far eastern expression along the lines that you cannot teach a lesson to those who will not be taught. The behavior described by Tincanfish can be witnessed in virtually any state and upon any waters.

I spent my early years as a kid from a fishing family in Idaho. My favorite uncle was the best fisherman in the family and taught me early to use stealth and caution to approach any spot where there might be fish...which was any spot you were going to fish. He always caught the most and the biggest. Over the years I'd like to think that much of my own success has to be attributed to some good training I received from my uncle...and others who took the time to pass on what I was most eager to learn.
[signature]
Hey Guys, On my last post I forgot to put down my goals for 2003.I live in Salt Lake area of Utah.I think that it is about time to start fishing for the warmer water fish, such as walleyes,Large mouth Bass,Small mouth Bass,Wipers, Tiger muskies and Northen Pike. I have mostly caught trout from my tube so I would like to get something Diffent. If you guys have any tips, theories or strategies on how to get them in my net, please let me know.
Thanks
Tincanfsh
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Mr. T. Check your email for a couple more chapters. The one you need to read, for the help on multispecies is "TACKLE, TECHNIQUES & SPECIES". The other one will be on fishing all kinds of waters...from ponds to rivers to salt water. If you can't get something out of those, I'll give up on you.

How are you coming on your tube add-ons?

P.S. You might wanna think carefully about inviting muskies and northerns into your inflatable environment. Sharp pointy things (TEETH) and thin walled tubes are not good go-togethers. But, if you're like me, you probably got more guts than brains too. I never claimed to be the brightest bulb on the string, and when there's fishing to be had it's "devil take the hindmost".
[signature]