Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's Lake
All this talk on Henry's lately and now I get to go with a couple of friends. We will be float tubing an I will be on my kickboat. All this talk of big fish has got me anxious and so now I can't sleep and I am on the Net.

Any thoughts on flies and where to start fishing there? It's my first time up there. I figured on having a rod for wet and one for some dry flies. I was reading that it's about 20 ft deep so should I have some sinking line or will a sink tip do the job?

I am praying for a great weekend and can't work up the guts to check the forecast.

Our Magic Valley Fly Fishers club is having an outing there as well this weekend, this is gonna be fun.
The vegetation will be kinda thick right now I would think, which is going to make fishing a bit challenging.
As far as flies, scuds, prince nymphs, mity mouse, renegades (snail patterns) and I think something in green.
Lines, YES you need sinking. I don't think that a dry is going to be that benificial, but, I could be wrong. Intermediate, and a type III or IV in a wet cell (something that sinks with a belly in it)
You could try deep nymphing with a LONG leader off the dry line, if that is what you have.
As far as where to fish, with the heat spell I would say outside edges all around the lake.
Pick up Bills copy of "Fishing Henry's Lake", it has a July section that tells you where, when, what and how.
And don't forget the camera...we want to seeeeeeee.
[signature]
Thanks for the info and I will have my camera so I hope to do some catching not just fishin.
[signature]
Well I got back from Henrys Lake Sun morning at 1 am. Left to go there Sat. morn at 1 am. Yep 24 hrs we were up and I have no stories to tell of any big or small fish. I want to thank flygoddes as she was the only one who offered any suggestions on where and what to use and exspect. I've never fished Henrys and was hoping for to have felt the tug like so many have who have fished there before.

I'm not through with Henrys but I may try to take 2 days instead of 1, I'm bushed!!! I just wish that instead of all the stuff that is on the other Henrys thread, there might of been more suggestions or something from anyone else. Maybe a, I might see ya there or whatever.

I had a great day fishin but did no catchin, so no pictures, no stories just as it should be a good day fishin.
[signature]
I feel your pain IPF. I have only caught one fish there in 7 years (usually fish it about 2 days a year...) and that was on opening day this year. I would have loved to chime in and tell you all the secrets but I don't have any. I am just trying to learn the lake myself. I'll be back up there in August for a few days to give it another go. Good luck and don't get discouraged.
[signature]
I too am no good for advice. I go about two days a year and usually catch one fish each day. So I am of no help as well. At least you enjoyed your self. That is what fishing is all about. Good luck next time. Also if you want more advice you can look in last years posts and find more info on the lake. Also re read any of this years posts on Henry's there was some really good info earlier on in the season. Any ways just my two cents.

Fight4not
[signature]
Hey guys, with any luck we will be buying my Brother-In-law's trailer and hitting big "H" tail end of August, Sept. Maybe we can all hook up on a date and time. The ol' man and myself did better when it cooled down.
Usually stay at Red Rock camp ground. I like that electricity that time of year in the evening for the electric blanked[Wink]
[signature]
idahopanfish,

Thanks for the report. I've been out for a few days or I would have put my $0.02 in. My personal experience with Henry's is the catching isn't as fast starting around Mid July until the water cools down in September.
[signature]