Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard tubing 7-14-06
[cool][#0000ff]Didn't see any piranhas or pacus at Willard Bay this morning. Did see Mr. and Mrs. PACKFAN. Boy did they pick a nice morning for fishing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe and I launched in the NE corner about 6 am. Air temp 65, water temp 76. No waders needed. Yeah. Bring on da heat. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There was a nice pink glow when we launched. No W and no bugs. Don't get much better than that. Well, it woulda been nice to get to play with a couple of wipers but they were playing elusive today. Saw a few small ones hit the surface early, but no boils.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Threw lots of plastics and hardbaits but no wiperkind. As soon as I started dragging a minnow I got kitty-smacked though. TubeBabe had got two small cats and I got one before Mr. and Mrs. PACKFAN cruised up in their nicely appointed Crestliner.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The kitties weren't real active until the sun came over the mountains and hit the water about 7:30. Then we all got some hits and brought in a few small kitties. Just after 8 it really turned on for awhile and everybody was reeling in the small channels. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got one small male channel that was the smallest "daddy cat" I have ever caught. He had the head and the skinny body...and the colors...of a spawning male just off the nest. He was thin and went back into the water, as did about 15 - 20 other small cats, from 12" to about 15".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]During one hectic half hour session, I was fishing two bait rods and had 4 consecutive "doubles"...fish either hooked or running line on both rods at the same time. PACKFAN was cruising over to take a "Smiley shot" when I got the last double. Both rods took off at the same time. I set the hook on the first fish and then put the rod back in my holder. I then set the hook on the second fish and reeled it in. The first fish kept trying to spin my tube around as I unhooked the one I had already brought in.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Only a couple of PWC on the water (starting at daybreak). No pesky skiers. There was one old guy dragging a worm harness around for walleyes, in his red Tracker. He couldn't stand watching me catch fish after fish so he dragged his gear close by me and actually hooked a small cat right under my tube.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Both TubeBabe and I released several times more than we kept, usually keeping only the kitties that had swallowed our hooks. By 10 AM, we were both had seven in the basket, and needed only one more to limit. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I put away one of the bait rods, and picked up a rod rigged with tandem small plastics, I saw some surface disturbance nearby. No big boils or heavy splashes, but looked a lot like small wipers mopping up on some of the newly hatched shad fry. About my third cast I had a whack and brought in a scrappy wiperette. Looked like one of this year's plants. Saw more of them splashing but did not hang around very long to try for more. Now, if they had been six pounds, instead of six inches, I woulda been all over that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Mr. and Mrs. PACKFAN seemed to have a good time with the bitty kitties too. In fact, they were the primary target today, rather than wipers. I think they were able to collect enough for a decent fish fry.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Great to meet up with you guys again.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Sounds like a nice day TD, gonna have to break out the toon and hook-up somtime. I've only really got into kittys at night bank fishing the SW corner. Keep up the good mod work, and thanks for the reports.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks. Let me know when you are ready and we can put something together.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I like fishing the SW corner too, but it is sure a lot easier to launch in the NE, and the fishing is usually pretty good.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Maybe we should have a smaller, less formal, kitty floatilla at Willard one of these days [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That thought had occured to me too. One of the first trips we launched at the north end, we launched right in front of the pavillion where we had the Wiper Tourney. Nice Beach, easy launch, not too far to kick for kitties and wipers in either direction. Plus, all the facilities.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am thinking that after Labor Day, when the heavy day use activities die down a bit, the fishing will still be good (if not better) and the competition (power squadron) will be less. I got lots of cats and some wipers clear up until late October last year in the North Marina area from the float tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Otherwise, anytime more than one wierd kitty tuber hits the water together, it's a floatilla baby.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Lets do another weekday one soon. I would love to get another bft-athon under my belt. Anybody else interested?
[signature]
By the sounds of things, you guys had a very productive trip. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Got a potential meetup with Leaky on Tuesday next week. However, TubeBabe will only be available Thursday or Friday next week. Totally open the week following.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I know we have a few members who have "flex" scheduling. So, if we can get a few interested tubers and tooners (boaters okay), let's make it happen.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you can get a potential group of three or four vehicles, I will secure one of the campsites down near the water in the campground and we can have an easy launch.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I could probably do next Tuesday as well TD.
[signature]
Tuesday sounds wonderful if you and leaky want the company.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Okay then, Tuesday it is. I will probably be there between 6 and 6:30 (AM) and fish until about noon or so. Since this is informal, anyone who wants can show up...or not...at whatever time they want. We fish over a large area so there is plenty of room for everyone who wants to play.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]PM me if you need suggestions on launch locations, baits, tackle, technique or whateever.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My game plan is usually to fish lures with one rod while dragging around a bait with my second pole permit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I can bring extra walkie talkies for anyone who doesn't have one and would like to trade chatter.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Bugs have not been bad the last couple of trips, but always wise to bring spray and a headnet.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Still workin on the kitchen pass here, but "should" be able to go. Lookin forward to meetin a few more BFT'ers and of course TD's company is better than nothin... [Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]"better than nothin'"? I've been accused of worse...by better. You better be careful that I don't activate the self-destruct device on your sonar with my remote control while you are on the water. That might get you busted for fishing with explosives. Bummer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck with the pass. Those twins probably keep you both busy and make passes difficult to come by.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just remember the fisherman's motto: "It is easier to beg forgiveness later than to grovel for permission in advance."[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Self destruct? I thought I smelled that thing smokin at the Gorge... You must have had an itchy trigger finger. [Smile]
[signature]
Thanks Tube Dude for sharing the water with us yesterday we had a great time, weather was beautiful, no skiers and NO bugs. We ended up with 10 Kitties yesterday ate some last night and will finish the rest off tonight with Hush Puppies and fresh sweetcorn. Nice close up of "SKID" in his Tracker. Sorry about that but you know how those retired Colonels can get. Once again thanks for a great morning and doing whatever you did to keep the bugs at bay. The pictures I took of you and Tube Babe turned out great.[cool]
[signature]
Flycasting: looking forward to meeting you and getting the toon wet again. Been more than 2 month's.[mad] I think she is feeling neglected.
Maybe, just maybe we can get some bigger cats this time.
[signature]
I could be there, be nice to meet some peeps from bft.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If you need help sizing or posting, send them to my email address at [url "mailto:pscouten@comcast.net"]pscouten@comcast.net[/url] . I will edit them into your post.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was good to fish with you guys. No problem with SKID. I am a few years behind him in age, but not much. I hope I can stay active and still be fishing for many years to come. Does my heart good to see "seniors" still going out and doing something rather than holding down a recliner and waiting to die.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those small cats really are great eating. We did a batch tonight "scampi style"...sauteed in butter and olive oil with enough garlic to make us speak with an Italian accent. Served up with some garden fresh grilled zucchini and fresh bread (dipped in the "renderin's") it made a fine finish to a hot day.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]C'mon down. Be good to meet up witcha.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Shoot me a PM if you need any directions or technical stupidvision.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Am planning on being there. Will leave Sparky at home so as to save the uninitiated/less tolerant folks the experience of meeting the obnoxious one. No not me, the other one. Man, it looks more and more like a floatilla. I may just stay on shore and watch/laugh.[crazy]
Leaky